blue catfish vs flathead catfish in size

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by slikk03, Aug 6, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i know blues gewt larger but by how much,ive seen big flatheads that are bigger than alot of big blues,and what fights harder

2. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Right now the blue cat record is 124 lbs. and the flathead record is 123 lbs. There have been blues over 250 lbs. documented in the 1800's though. If the fish were equal size, then most people would probably say the flathead would fight harder, but catchin' big blues from an anchored spot in current will put a serious hurtin' on your arms.

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i think the blues get bigger becouse they are always on the move feeding, while flats sit thear and wait , i just wonder how much bigger blues get

4. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    I also think the blue is the better fighter. The Flats, when caught out of a current will hug the bottom and hard to get up.

5. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Not too sure about Blues being the better fighter...I have hooked up with some Flats they had a really bad attitude.

6. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    I don't know about better but I would say they definitely fight different. They react differently to a hook set but both will put the burn in your arms. In my experience Flatheads are fighters as soon as they get on the line where blues really don't explode into their fight mode til they can see you, then they explode, diving to the bottom and running like a mako shark. I have had big blues just feel like a log until I get them to the boat and then about snatch the rod and reel from my hands from them taking off. I like both and don't think I can claim favor to either cause the are equally enjoyable but like I have said before "different".

7. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    Sorry, didn't answer the question about which get larger. That is a very simple answer and complicated one too. As it stands right now, the Blue 124lbs vs. the Flathead 123lbs. Now is there a Flathead out there that weighs 200lbs? Possibly!! Same goes for the Blues though!! Who really knows? I am out there trying my hardest to find out though. If I find out personally, I will let all know.

8. blzfan1963

blzfan1963 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Just from my experience Flatties are like a sprinter they start fast and hard but they seem to wear down. Where as a blue seems to be a marathon runner slow and steady always pulling. Dont matter either one can bend my rod whenever they want:big_smile:

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm not sure about blues getting bigger. There is only 1 pound difference in the 2 current world records. As far as which one fights harder......they fight very differently. The bluecat is like fighting a freight train speeding down the track and a Flathead is like fighting a bulldozer. They both fight hard and long and will put your arms to the test.:big_smile:

10. omegaman66

omegaman66 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I know of blues being caught bigger than the current record but have never heard of a flathead coming close to beating the Flathead record.

As far as which fights harder I can't say as I have not caught but a few flatheads. I can say the blues we catch in the river in the 10 pound range don't put up much of a fight at all on 12 pound test. Now hook up to a redfish and it would pull those catfish inside out.

11. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    from my personal experience the flats fight harder, but I think both fish fight less when they approach the 50lb mark. When I hook a fish anywhere from 35-45lb is when they fight the best. The two bigger blues I caught just came to the boat, kind of like pulling a tree off the bottom. All the fish I have caught in the 35-45lb range pull a good amount of drag. As for which one in the 35-45lb range fights harder, in my experience is the flathead. It could be a number of factors, I mostly fish in the shallows so I cant completely judge which one fights better in deep water. I have caught flats in 25' holes that felt about 20lbs heavier than they weighed. I have also caught blues in current that felt heavier than they weighed. I guess just be happy that you can catch both and have fun doing it. Nothing better than hooking a big fish, taking a quick picture and watching him go back to challenge me again another day.

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    No question flats fight harder. I guess their wide body design creates more resistance. I have found that blues initially hit harder, nearly tearing rod holders of the boat, but once hung offer less fight coming in. Flats on the other hand, will usually make several "runs" that you better have good equipment to compensate for. A thirty pound flat will give you twice the fight that a thirty pound blue will. Just my opinion from my experiences.
    Bill in SC

13. Doneinne

Doneinne New Member

State:
    Fremont, Nebras
    How many times do you hear of people hooking onto a large flathead that they could not lift off of the bottom? Who knows how big of a one is out there.

14. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    The flats have the big flat powerful tail and do not want to come off the bottom but a blue will roll and roll on you. I think the flat is the more powerful of the fighters but I have been catching alot of blues this past week and this rolling is giving them the advantage of popping out the hook. Got to love catching both of them.