Blue catfish vs Flathead catfish and Misc

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by BrokenArrow, Aug 23, 2006.

1. BrokenArrow

BrokenArrow New Member

State:
    Alabama
    First, this is the best web site on fishing, and I say thanks for all the information in the lib and everywhere else.
    2nd, I'm relatively new to the site.
    3rd. Some background. I grew up in Texas and the only fishing I did was trotlining for flats in Sam Rayburn lake. Minus bass/crappie/etc.

I'm getting back into cats in Alabama on the Tennesse River.
    My impressions, local and here.
    Flat fishers focus on flats and nothing else.
    Blue cat fishers don't focus on flats.
    Is there something up here, or is it just me. I say this in that I would prefer to catch a flat over a blue knowing blues get bigger. I get the impression there is a divide between blues and flats. Not trying to start anything.

Last, most of the Tenn river I'm fishing has strong current Bad for flats or ok. I've fished several places I thought would be good, but no luck.
    Any advice appreciated. Thanks again.
    Broken Arrow

2. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    I personally will go after either a flat or a blue with equal vigor, just depends on the time of year and what water I am fishing, cooler weather is whenb the big blues start to really crank up flats pretty much turn off after water temp reaches 50-55 deg also flats prefer slow current and plenty of hiding places, blues prefer faster current can usually be found around small current breaks etc...drift fishing for blues in deep water is usually the best method cut bait works best for blues usually shad or skipjack flats generally go after live bait I like live bluegills or small bullheads myself just depends on the water I'm sure plenty of guys can give you even more indepth info on either species and how to target them in your area :smile2:

3. BrokenArrow

BrokenArrow New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks,
    I've got some big blues here jug fishing with cut bait. Seems pretty easy for blues but difficult for flats. I've fished nights and days, and the days have been more productive. I want some flats and trying to figure out on a part of the river to focus on.
    BrokenArrow

4. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    If your after the flats try to locate some deep water next to shallow flat, or fish an edge that drops off into a deeper hole.,.Fish as much structure as possible, and use a good lively bait, like bluegill, a lively shad, or some chubs or suckers...Also try right as its getting dark. You should be able to get into some flatheads

5. BrokenArrow

BrokenArrow New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks. I've found some deep holes on the depth finder and will try the flats.
    Am I missing something but how does the chat room work. I don't have 10 posts yet. Is that why I can't chat?

THanks
    BrokenArrow

6. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Man i have been a member for about 4 months and still havent figured it out...LMAO...So your not alone on that one

7. SuCoTraveler

SuCoTraveler New Member

State:
    Milan Kansas
    Big Cat, drift fishing in deep water sounds excatly right, I was at SkiaTook lake in Oklahoma 2 weeks ago doing some trolling and in 60 feet of water there was about 10 large fish at the bottom in a group on the fish finder. My thought was that these very well could of been blues, But didn't have the right bait to give them a try.

8. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    A lot may depend on where one fishes. The waters that I fish 95% of the time don't have blues of any decent size but do have large flatheads. So most of the time I target fladheads. I would love to get hold of a big blue, I will just have to change bodies of water that I fish and its hard to do since I know these hold large fish and I know where to fish. grizzly

9. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Brother, If it bites, runs and fights hard and tastes good, I wouldnt care if it was a tractor tire on my line:lol: . I focus on flatties because those and channels are all i get around here. I would like to catch a nice blue some day so, I dont discrminate.

10. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Theres a few reasons this might happen. 1 flats and blues generally dont hang out the same areas. I mean they do, but not that close. You can catch blues in open water, no structure around, suspended. Where as with a flat there more selective about structure. Also blue cats bite all day long, where as flats are known, to generally bite better after dark. These differences make alot of fishermen chose one or the other based on there gear, and availablity.

Me for instance, I cant catch a flat for anything. Ive fished live bait, cut bait, artifical baits and ive caught 1 flat. Blues are no problem though.

11. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    ive caught thousands of blues i love it. but i will allways be a flathead fan i love to fish at night by myself most people including in my family allways want to leave before the sun comes up man when i see the sun come up im like dam although ive done very good around daybreak. i love night fishing no other boats usually no wind i know they are swiming around looking for food. dont worry about falling asleep around here the coons, skunks,possums and coyotes will keep ya awake .

12. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    same as scotty, catch lots of blues but had rather catch a yellowcat any day!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Its simple for me, I am chasing Flatheads in the warm months, and Blues in the cold ones. And if I catch either one when I am chasing the other, it's a bonus.:wink:

14. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    I like to target Flats in the warmer months & Blues when it's colder. I don't really favor one over the next. I will say I prefer to fish when the weather is warm vs cold. When I fish for Flats in the warmer months I always have a line or two out specifically for channels (eaters) also. Channels around here seem to be more abundant vs the other two. They just don't give you that trophy size that were all hunting for with the Blues & Flats. Any species of cat caught on a hook is a good day as far as I'm concerned.!

J

15. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Scotty, that's the perfect way to describe flathead fishing. I do my best catching when I'm all alone on the river, sometimes I can go for days and not see another boat at night (after the river bar closes lol). I hate it when Its 8 8:30 in the AM the sun is getting high and the temp is warming up. I been out all night and haven't caught a thing, and I just hate it that I have to go home empty handed LOL. But on the upside, I have witnessed many cool sunrises that most people miss. I see deer drinking at the river bank, birds of all sorts, beaver, raccoons...etc you name it I've seen it when they didn't know I was out there in that boat. One morning the mist and fog was heavy, the sun was peeking up behind me, casting a reddish/orange on all the fog. Just then a wild turkey jumped out of the tree he had been roosting in and swooped low over the water then back up high into a tree on the opposite bank. You won't see things like that sitting on the couch.

16. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    There's just something about flatheads that makes them special. They are like the ultimate catfish to me. Maybe it's because I mostly have to fish at night to catch them (and enjoy the sounds of the night and the swamp and all) or because they prefer live baits? Maybe it's because they get big and nasty? Not really sure, but I can tell you that I'd rather catch flatheads than just about anything else.

I fish for channles, and blues, and spotted sea trout and red drum and bream and just about anything else, but I dearly love those flatheads.

By the way - drift fishing is generally less successful for flatheads. Even with cut bait (which they will eat sometimes) it seems like they need to have some time to look the bait over before they eat.

17. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I also find fishing at night for catfish to be my favorite. As long as its a catfish I haul in it makes my night.

18. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Ronnie,

Welcome to the greatest fishing website on Earth. There are many kind people here on this board that will be more than happy to share information with you and answer your questions. Don;t be shy and ask away, there's always someone here to help you out.

In the river I fish here in PA, the flathead catfish is the biggest kind of cat. I do not target channels because they are small. I like big fish. In some rivers and lakes where flats and blues cohabitate, the blues get bigger and that's why I think the Bluecat guys only stick to blues, because they are bigger.

I, on the other hand, dislike fishing during the daytime. That's why flatheading is "my style".

It all comes down to preference.

19. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    welcome to the boc.your rite bout needing 10 post to get in the chat room but you also need to download adobe reader to log in to chat.

20. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i really think people that pursue flatheads have to have it in their blood.. i have taken many people out flathead fishing and of the many only a few take it as serious as i do. there is something about their attitude that has me addicted. until you tangle with a big flat and feel the brute force of one you will never understand how powerful they are pound for pound.. i don't talk about lost fish much because thats what they are lost, and you can't say for sure what you have had ahold of not seeing...But, i will say out of the ones we have caught, i think the thrill of the few monsters that i have lost over the last 15-20 yrs. has me addicted as much as those i have caught..nothing like setting into one and having him drag the boat with your buddy and two anchors out into the main channel in the dark never moving him or turning him...now thats what i call flathead fishing!!!!!rollo