Blue catfish swimming sand bar

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by whiteriverbigcats, Aug 8, 2006.

1. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I was at the White River south of Indianapolis.. i got there Monday morning around 4:00am. but around 8:00am i saw a few blues but maybe only one over the 20# mark. but they were swimming an area of about 50 to 75 feet and just running back and forth... they never got farther then 10ft from the shoreline...... My guess is that they were eating the small minnows that were in the area.. cause i didnt see anythign but a few schools of minnows... But it was just amazing to see these fish in their habitat just doing what they do..... This is the second time i have seen this on this spot of the river.. I tried catching these fish but they were not intrested in anything... but they sure where a sight to watch... I think i may just take a camcorder and make a video of them just swimming around.... but my presents never seemed to spook them at all..... Just thought i would SHARE MY STORY...

2. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Shane, Man that would be cool if you could get them on video. I for one would enjoy seeing it. It would also aggravate me to death trying to figure out how to catch them.

ST

3. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    So true!

I used to fish this place below a dam, and after they shut the gates, you could see the fish sitting in the shallow water.
    You could pretty much pick out the fish you wanted and drop your bait right in front of his nose.

You could sit there all day and the fish wouldn't even move, until they decided it was time to eat, then you could catch a few.
    It was all up to the fish whether you caught anything or not?

It didn't matter what you used for bait, if it was on bottom or bobber, live or dead, they were not going to bite until they were ready.

Ken

4. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I have had problems in the past while bream fishing like that, you could see them but you could forget it they weren't biting. I finally figured out that you could down size the hook and put a really small piece of worm on and nothing else but a small split shot and get one to bite occasionally. It is usually best on those days to go on home and get on here and complain about it.:cool2:

Shane, I wonder if that would work on these cats?

ST

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Are the Soft shell Turtles hatching in your area?The hatch lings will hide buried in the sand in very shallow water with just their tiny needle like nose up for air.When anything approaches,zip! It is retracted and buried in the sand with the rest of the turtle.Catfish love them.peewee-williams

6. BigCat4

BigCat4 New Member

State:
    Quincy,Ill
    very cool sight to see indeed

7. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I fish the missouri river alot, and I have came across that same situation several times! Right before dark several times I have been sitting along the channel and had some monsters surface not but 2 ft from the bank! If you fish the sand bars @ night on the missouri you will come across blues feeding shallow....seeing them come up and grab a shad is a sight that any catfisherman would enjoy!

8. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i ve seen big blues come to the top and kind of roll and swim along in sometimes numbers in my local lakes many times. mostly in the morning here but they never seem to be feeding when they are doing this. i dont know about the turtles because i never knew about that but blues do like clams. i have caught them where there bellies felt like a sack full of gravel. most of the time here if you locate a clam bed the fish will be feeding in them.

9. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I may have to find me a clam bed, and go to catchin me some fish.

10. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I've seen a bunch of blues rolling on top in the morning. Last trip I made to Falls Dam I saw probably about 30 or 40 fish rolling on top and it's always big ones too. They seem to be around 20 lb. or bigger. You see that big dorsal fin come up out of the watr and then the tail flap when they go down. Really frustrating. I've tried to catch 'em flylining cut bait, fishing under bobbers, freelining shad and haven't caught one yet.

11. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    sounds like what you are seeing are probably bighead carp. they are notorious for swimming around with there dorsals sticking out of the water. they will not bite anything but try throwing a large jig at em. mat foul hook one. they are a blast to catch. if you do get one, please kill it.

12. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    id love to see some pics of that that sounds like a lot of fun setting watching them hope you have some luck getting some video of them have a good day

13. smitty1

smitty1 New Member

State:
    illinois
    where we fish the blues will come to the top and hit skips... its cool to watch and usually the fishing is really good when that is happening, but we are fishing really strong currents and drifting bait threw them.... you might try that if there is current to do this..... good luck.

14. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    I've been noticing a lot of blues feeding on the top of the water right before daylight here in the last few weeks. I run a excavator that sits on a diving board over the river and the lights attract the Mayflies that keep hatching out this summer. I'm guessing the blues are feeding off of them when they fall into the water. I haven't really seen anything large yet, maybe 2-4 lb'ers.