Blue Catfish Stocked in KS Lakes in 2006

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by GaryF, Jul 15, 2007.

1. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I ran across this and thought folks might find it interesting. It's the number of blue cat fingerling stocked into Kansas Lakes last year. They were about 7" long at time of stocking.

El Dorado Reservoir -- 32,100
    Cheney Reservoir -- 20,040
    John Redmond Reservoir -- 20,021
    Melvern Reservoir -- 15,050
    Perry Reservoir -- 11,611
    Clinton Reservoir -- 14,025
    Gridley City Lake -- 1,000
    Total -- 113,847 fish

2. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Thanks For the Info There Gary, It seems that you can find anything out.

3. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    I sure hope that's enough to make them take in Perry and Clinton. But like Charlie B. said alot of them will probably be mistaken for channels and taken off of the bean holes. I would really love to be catching quality blues in those two lakes in 10 or 15 years.

4. oakland river rat

oakland river rat New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kansas

Like kscatman said,..........most of the blues will be takin out of the bean holes before they get very big.

5. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Hey Jerry , All those big flats I see you catching, do you CPR those?

6. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

fcol, the man just got here and you are going to all ready bust his chops?

7. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Ive seen his pics on other websites Tom, and they are always if front of a house. Im just curious. :angry:

8. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

well some of us do eat fish.

9. oakland river rat

oakland river rat New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kansas
    My ol'man is old school. He has been catching flathead all of his life. We[SIZE=-1] catch, photograph, and release into fresh well water in our horse tanks.

Don't worry, we don't take what we can't eat. Were not out there fishing at random and being wasteful. Everything is planned around certain times and dates so we can deliver nice catches on the years that we decide to fish.

We have a big family and big families require a nice amount of fish at our fish frys.

Nothin can say Kansas better than Flathead nuggets, fresh sweet corn and coleslaw!

I am all for fisherman who practice catch and release.:cool2:
    [/SIZE]

10. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Thats cool Jerry. Ive seen alot of pics of you and your pops with alot of 50+ lb. flats. I just wondered, because it seems that 70+lb. flats are getting rarer and rarer these days. Ive seen pics in an old bait store in Ottawa, Ks of a group of 10 different guys with several 50+lb. flats from the Marais Des Cynges River, and theyre all from trotlines down there , and I kinda feel like we are getting robbed of a chance for a world record flat , because alot of people keep the big ones. Personally , I dont keep anything over 5lbs.

11. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

and I kinda feel like we are getting robbed of a chance for a world record flat , because alot of people keep the big ones." whos getting robbed?

12. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    We all are. A 70 + lb. flat is at least 20 yrs old. If these big flats are being kept more than released, then it severly lessens our chances of catching a 100+ lber. See what Im getting at Tommy? I didnt ask Jerry about the CPR to start trouble, if he would of said yes, he keeps all the big ones, I would of said nothing. You accuse me of busting his chops for asking about CPR? When alot of people on this site always ask if they CPR'd a fish. I dont get it. What about every time a newbie gets on and asks a question? You immediately direct them to another thread. You dont find that kinda smart assed ? Also , I eat catfish to. I love it, but Im certainly not gonna keep a 50 lb. fish to fill my freezer , when I can go catch a bunch of 1-5 lbers that I believe taste better anyway. I dont know what your deal is. You wont answer my PM's, after we chatted about fishing all last summer, but you got time to accuse and bicker over a question to another man that had nothing to do with you at all. :0a26:

13. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

well first off the only person i allow to call me tommy is my grandma and shes dead.and yes i post the threads that would help them answer there question should they had looked they would have found it too. why discuss the same thing on many differnt threads? and yes the whole hey do you cpr thing gets so old it not even funny. its none of your business what some does with a legal caught fish....peroid.and its so anoyying to see everyone asking people over and over and over agin and dare someone say no then half of boc see's the need to jump there butts for not seeing things there ways? and speak for your self i dont feel robbed if someone keeps a fish they caught no matter how big it is.i catch alot of big fish every year so i dont feel like a dam thing has been taken away from me. i think it only truely burns up the piss poor fisherman who never catch anything worth while if some one keeps a dam fish kansas is all most over run with big flatheads you arent going to hurt them buy keeping some big or small.the only reason i tuen them loose anymore is because i get tired of cleaning 50 plus pound fish in the middle of the night i f i wanted to i could do this just about every day. big fish in kansas are not rare buy any means.

14. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

ps.... i dont answer your pm's just because i get a weird feeling from you and have decided to just ignore you all together. sorry but thats who it is with strangers

15. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Now Im even more determined to fish with you Tom. Your the only one on this website that I know of that knew Tom Burns. Thats what interested me in you. A chance to learn from someone that learned from a legend. Oh well, good luck.

16. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    Let's play nice boys!

17. Interesting debate. I love to catfish but have a young family and that keeps me from catting very often. I know that if/when I catch a 50 lb. flattie that I will be hard pressed not to keep it because I have never caught one but the arguement of keeping somthing that likely doesn't taste very good makes sense to me. I can catch 2-4 pound channels regularly and that can feed my family easily. However the state law does not prohibit me from keeping a large fish. I guess it comes down to this.... We are given a choice when we catch a lunker to keep it or release it. If we are careful to use our resources wisely that choice should not affect the ability for Kansas waters to deliver a world record flattie. Just my 2 cents.

18. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

kansas all ready has delivered the world record flathead

19. touche'. I should have substitued US for Kansas. My humble appologies.

20. shooter

shooter New Member

State:
    ks
    Will bluecats spawn in lakes and at what size?