Blue Catfish Running On Kaw Lake in Oklahoma

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Bill D Curtis, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    The blue cats are on at kaw lake I've seen several nice stringers in the last few days with many twenty pounders several 30,s and one 49 they are being caught in 4and5 ft of water above coon creek in and around the old river channel. Unfortunly some of us have to work maybe they will still be on this weekend

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    good news, good news, good news!!!!

3. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    thanks mr. bill glad u guys are in to the fun fish hope they hold on to next week:crying:

4. okie catfish hunter

okie catfish hunter Member

State:
    Ponca City, OK
    Bill we are going to have to get together and go fishing sometime. I work in Blackwell, if you check my profile I'm sure you'll recognize who I am.

5. okie catfish hunter

State:
    Ponca City, OK
    All this rain should turn them on. Too bad I can't get out there this weekend

6. BUCKSINRUT

BUCKSINRUT New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Never been to Kaw Lake. I've got to get out more. I've got to get my own boat also.

7. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    is there a boat ramp anywhere below bear creek toward washunga bay?

8. rivrbunny

rivrbunny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I don't know of a boat ramp below Bear going towards Washunga on that
    side of the lake - there is an old road that dead ends in the water. I think taking Old River road out of Newkirk go past the Bear Creek turn (I think 106 lane?) turn right, go another 1-2 miles (its the first road to the right after you go over a bridge). Just past a housing addition called Butterfield Estates you will run directly into the water. You couldn't launch a big boat but you could a canoe, kayak or john boat. I am not very good at recalling street names but I remember by the landmarks.
    Across the lake is Coon Creek camp ground. That would be between Bear Creek and Washunga Bay but across the lake. There is a nice boat ramp at Coon Creek.

9. rivrbunny

rivrbunny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The lake is way up right now. The last time I checked the corp website it was 1016 +. Normal lake level is 1010. The high water messes with the fishing. Might check the Tulsa Corp Of Engineers website for a fishing report before driving from Texas. I have a shortcut on the desk top so I can check before I drive up there. Also good for dam release times if you want to fish below the dam at Kaw.

10. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Misty,

Have yoiu heard about any good fishing reports below Kaw. I know with this water running the fish in Keystone and upper parts of the Arkansas should be making their way up there. I'm thinking about maybe heading up to Kaw with the boat in the next week or so to try my luck below the dam for blues and stripers.

11. rivrbunny

rivrbunny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Chris,
    None of us have been fishing since the water has been up. The airboats swamp too easy in high water. I'd be at Keystone in about an hour in my little kayak:eek:oooh: . When the water gets down to 1010-1012 on the lake the
    fishing should be good. When the water release below the dam is around 1200 your john boat should be safe from too much under water junk in the river. The 1st creek below the dam is usually good fishing at the mouth of the creek or up in the creek a little ways. You could try the rock ledge at that flow of water (we had discussed it earlier). Further downstream a mile or so there is a creek on the opposite side (would be on your right)
    it should be good fishing. Any of the log piles along the way would be good fishing too. I just don't know how many will be left or where the piles will be after the high water:confused2: If I hear any more I will be sure to post. I love the river because it always changes and there is always new stuff but it does make fishing challenging when everything gets moved around:roll_eyes: Great for artifact hunting though:smile2:

12. rivrbunny

rivrbunny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Chris,
    Checked the corp website, they dropped it a 1/2 foot today at the lake.
    He has decreased the release from 16,000 to 11,000 which will still float large trees ( I am thinking of your post from Caney when the plug got knocked out of your boat). If current conditions prevail and he continues
    to drop the lake .5 to 1 foot per day and we do not get any additional rain the fishing should be great by mid to end of next week. If you have a pretty strong motor in the john boat you would be ok at higher water release amounts. We have got caught several times when motors quit and you get swept aways downstream before you can get the boat to the side (making it that much harder to get the boat upstream to get it out of the water). I love the river but I respect that current-have been caught too many times on foot when that water starts coming up. If he is still letting out too much below the dam by the end of next week it should be good fishing on the lake. Usually as the lake drops so does the release so maybe river and lake will be down by the time you are ready to go fishing. Then you can fish for awhile below the dam and if they aren't biting you can load the boat and run to Coon Creek or Osage Cove and try fishing there. Good luck.

13. mississippi man

mississippi man New Member

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    Misty, Do you ever do any good at osage cove? What baits do you use? I would Like to fish below the dam when I visit, but my grandpa is getting up in age so we fish places that are easy for him to go. He usually talks me into going to lake ponca and it is good for swapping stories with him and drinking coke, but not fishing. Maybe I just don't know how to fish it. Are there any other good bank spots that don't involve a lot of walking around kaw or ponca? The help is greatly appreciated I'm tired of getting skunked, I like the stories and time we share but I would like some fish, and I don't care how big they are.-Troy

14. rivrbunny

rivrbunny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Troy,
    I primarily crappy fish on the lake. Osage cove, Little Beaver boat ramp, any of the places with access try minnows or white curly tail tube jigs for sand bass and crappy.
    Ponca lake fishing if you go where the public docks are drive on around towards the lake patrol, you will see a little walled castle turret like thing that juts out into the lake-some friends of mine have sunk old christmas trees and stuff there-using minnows or usually chartreuse tube jigs or small gold fish you should do pretty good on crappy early morning, evenings sometimes are ok but usually not. Windmill cove is usually good at lake Ponca if you sit out on the rocks. I also caught my one and only walleye on a minnow in Windmill cove off the rocks. Off of Pecan street there is a road that goes back into Ponca lake, there is a cove back in there that I caught some great crappie on minnows but also got covered in seed ticks-spray down with OFF 1st!!!!
    I catfish on the Arkansas - the old river bridge that is now Snake bridge
    has public access. If you will get some chum and put in a chum bucket and throw it out 30 minutes to an hour before you fish and use blood bait or Rusty's stink bait or a combination of both (thats what I do-dip in Rusty's then smear of blood bait on a dipsy doodle sponge) you should do great. The chum will bring them close and the stink bait will get the cats.
    I won some Danny King's but the fishing has been weird this year because we had no water in the river and now we are inundated with water so have not had success yet. The lake is coming down and the river flow will decrease accordingly - if you can catch the river around 1500 to 3000 cfs
    you will do great on the cats there at Snake bridge. If you can walk down to where the county takes out their gravel there is some good fishing. The county has some parking blocks set up-fishing near there should get you some good fish but you do have to walk a ways unless you can get a key from the county. Good luck - hope that helps a little.

15. mississippi man

mississippi man New Member

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    Yeah, it does help alot. Thanks!

16. rivrbunny

rivrbunny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Checked the water releases and lake level for Kaw this morning. If anyone were going to catch fish the water levels are right in the lake and below the dam. I'm working but if anyone gets a chance they oughta go check it out. Good luck

17. okie catfish hunter

State:
    Ponca City, OK
    Fished North of Coon Creek Friday night from the bank. Not a single blue, no bites on cut shad but did catch 3 decent channels (4 - 7 lbs) on DK in very shallow water. It was a lot of fun fighting those fish in a foot or so of water on small tackle. I was really surprised the fishing wasn't better, shad were thick in the area around midnight. Still made for a good supper last night.