blue catfish rigs

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by lendog, Oct 28, 2009.

1. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i've only fished for flatheads and use a carolina rig with sliding sinker, i keep my baits about a foot from my weight. would this same setup be used for bluecats?

2. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ive caught about 50/50 Carolina Rig and Kat Bobber. Im trying to learn more about Blues also.

3. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    every rig has a purpose mostly depending on the places you are fishing for them. a carolina rig should be used in places that you wont get hung up as much where as a three way rig or a variation of it that in corporates the carolina rig, should be used in snaggy bottoms. the big thing about blues is where they are located. i am still learning about them myself, however i do know they like deeper water with more current where as a flat will come up and cruise around to hunt down its prey in the shallows...

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Lenny I mainly go after blues and all I use is a Carolina rig right on the bottomm, and I use it everywhere in my standing timber lake. My leaders are 14"- 40# mono leaders, this is what I've been using all year for both blues and flats.

I would stick with it, especially since your use to using it already.

G'luck chasing the blues.....boy are they fun !!!

5. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The carolina rig is fine. I use it 95% of the time. I use #65 Power Pro as the main line and around 12" 40# mono leader. If I fish right at the dam I will use a 3 way only because you will get snagged everytime and you need to tie the weight on with a light mono to break off when reeling in. Good luck.

6. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    Here is the rig I use for drifting,but I have used it anchored and had good results!

7. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Thanks for the info Brother's.

8. How about tidal river area rigs fellas, the same?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2009
  9. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Thanks for the post Lenny, I am still learnin too & have seen some good information already...:cool2:

10. katsandsuds

katsandsuds New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Just wanted to sum things up so far,

1 carolina rig, with our without small float on the leader. The float is optional, but in my opinion, I like the bait a couple of feet off the bottom with the float. Doesn't get buried in a soft bottom and lets the scent dispurse better. I would also add that I use shorted leaders in heavy current and more snaggy areas.

2 use 3 way rig in snaggy areas with light mono for weight so you can break the weight off and keep the rest of the rig

3 slip bobber rigs. I think this is the most under utilized setup in catfishing, but more and more people are coming around and finding the effectiveness of this rig. I always use this when fishing live baits, and always have a mix when fishing cut bait. I vary the depth on different rods and when I find the depth the fish are working, I target that specific depth. Cats don't just lay and feed on the bottom, they use the whole water column.

11. lovedasmelloffish

lovedasmelloffish New Member

State:
    California
    Hey guys, I'm new to this site and was wondering if there's a link someone has with a pic of these different set ups. I use different set ups myself acquired from fishing for 20 years. I just don't have a name for them . Thx in advance.

12. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Carolina rig is what I use for every species of catfish.

13. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    I mainly use this setup, which would be classified as a 3-way. I use it 99% of the time and adjust the length of my weight/leader. I have great success with this type setup, both past and present.

Attached Files: