Blue catfish question...

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by CatManDrew, May 27, 2007.

1. CatManDrew

CatManDrew New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    When do you guys set the hook when you know you're having a blue run? I have always set it on the first run and catch a good percentage, but I was just doing some reading and a lot of people say to let the fish run and then stop. And then set the hook on the 2nd run.

I would be scared it would be gone after that first run. What do yall do? I missed one this past weekend and cant help but wonder if i had let it stop and start again before I set the hook. Thanks in advance.

2. bruce edmunds

bruce edmunds New Member

State:
    southcarolina
    dont set the hook, use circlehooks,they set themselves,higer hook up rate

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    use kahle hook and catch almost every fish that bites. dont set the hook let the rod load up until it can go no more and then reel in the fish its that easy.
    If you think i'm wrong ask Big george he seen it first hand I never take the rod out the rod hold until it has loaded up and can go no more.

4. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    With blues your usually better off with leavin the real in gear and in the rod holder.When the rod loads up set the hook or start reelin depending on what hooks you use.If the rod is bent a blue usually has it and most of the time it will get hooked.If it takes off and runs with the clicker then sometimes they will let it go before you can even get to the rod.With the reel in gear you want have to guess if he still has it. This is just the way I do it though, that dont mean its the best way.

5. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Most the time when I'm fishing for Blues I leave it in gear & let'm bury the rod. Khale most times . I don't as much set the hook as more of just turn it's head. If my rod tip is down the fish has been set. I feel bout95% hook up.

6. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    It is like Chris and Tim said. The fish will hook himself immediately. If you let a cat wander about he will find some structure to get you hung up. Blues will usually grab and go to town. Channel cats can peck-peck and run some days and give a good slamming bite on other days. Flatheads are a little different but not much, got to give them a little more time. Get the fish when the rod fully loads. A circle hook will do the job nicely!

7. CatManDrew

CatManDrew New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thanks for all of the replies. ill try it this weekend with the rod left in gear. ive never had much luck with circle hooks but maybe ill give them another chance, too

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Drew, I have said this a 1,000 times if I have said it once, fishing with circle hooks is different than fishing with "J" hooks and you have to be able to change and adapt.

If you are stuck in your ways and can not get past jerking the rod as soon as it moves then they are not for you. It is more than just letting the rod load up. You also have to match the hooks to bait so that a LOT of the tips is exposed and the tip is able to rotate for proper hook-up. Once you learn to use circle hooks you will catch more fish.

Mudkip showed me how to use circle hooks properly and I have neve switched back. Chrisblue is right about leaving the reel in gear and avoiding the clicker. Circle hooks work on resistence, and the clicker defeats that.

9. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Circle hooks are the way to go. They pretty much hook them selves. Plus if you release your fish you have a lot less of a chance of hooking the fish anywhere but in the corner of the mouth.

10. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I use my clickers but I leave the reels engaged that way if I dont see a fish run when he starts pulling drag then I will hear it. the only time I use free spool is if I am using bait with no weight.

11. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Drew,
    I feel your pain, I also have also been use to the J hook and clicker, I also fished only for big cats using 10/0 hooks and very large bait. After joining our BOC family, I started targeting the smaller fish and using the circle hooks, However I'm still having troubles, Maybe I'm not matching the bait to hook right or it might be learning how and where to drift as opposed to anchoring, Or maybe I'm doing both wrong. But I will never stop trying until I get it right.

12. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    i drift fish 90% of the time i use both circle and kahle hooks in gear no clickers drag at about 15lb let them catch there self sometime you need a shock collar for your friends but set it reel wk so they dont get to mad but thats all it takes is patientenceeeeeeeeeeee! good luck.

13. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    this is what I switched to about a year ago, and have never looked back, bite to catch ratio has really went up. I think Trey and Greg use kahles and the clicker, but it does not work for everyone. Josh that fishes with me just cant get it, he switched to cirlces hooks and keeps the reel in engaged but he still sets the hook like he is bass fishing or something...........a big no no! Try the circles and see what happens Saturday night!

14. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Drew, i'm like flathead I leave my clickers on but I leave my reels in gear. I use nothing but circle hooks anymore but I set my drags at medium so if a big cat wants to hit it on a full run it will give out line instead of breaking the rod or pull the holder off the boat with the rod, and it has aways worked for me. :big_smile:
    I took my boss out and tried to show him how circles worked but he just had to bury the hook into the cats jaw, 5 for 5 he set the hook only to bring the bait back to the boat, the 4 I was able to get to the rod first on I just picked it up and waited for the fish to put pressure enough to get a good feel and just raised the rod back like I was trying to turn him back to me and 4 for 4 fish in the boat. Boss never could get it, as the fish gets the bait an starts to swim away the line and hook just naturally lslide to the corner of the mouth and the circle hook just turns enbeds into the soft spot in the corner 95% of the time all you have to do is start to reel or raise the rod until you feel him the just start reeling and you will find he's hooked up and ready for a fight, and I have had very few pull off at that point (he may hang me up or break my line) but he want pull off.
    GOOD FISHING!! :lol:

15. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Either hit them on the run (you may run out of line if you wait for them to stop!) or - and I believe this is the best way - put the rod in a holder with the reel engaged and just let them hook themselves. I know the screaming clicker is fun, but I believe the highest hook up rate comes from the rod holder.

16. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Oh - thought of something else. If you are going to let them run and then go for the hook set, the most important thing you can do is to make certain that you are tight to the fish before you set the hook.

17. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    What second run? The second run is me reeling his butt to the boat.LOL I agree with everyone cirlce hooks.

18. BassTrackerMac

BassTrackerMac New Member

State:
    Liberty, SC
    I have limited catfish "catching" experience:embarassed:, but for those cats I have landed, circle hooks and light to medium rod pressure seem to work really well. Traditionally, I am a bass fisherman and am use to ripping their lips out, but experience using a drop-shot rig has helped teach me not to "yank" on the fish.

I caught a 20# Blue from Keowee while actually drop-shotting a small minnow on a ssmall circle hook. Recognizing that I only had 6# test, there was no way I would have landed the fish if I had tried to "set" the hook. :wink: I still have to force myself to apply even pressure with the rod. Just takes time and patience. Good Luck!

19. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    If a catfish has a rod loaded up with tip nearly buried in the water it don't matter if you jerk...he is on and will not come off until you take the big circle hook out with pliers. If he was whiskerhooked he would have pulled free before he loaded the rod. I have never heard of a second "run" with catfish. Sounds like the way the old timers used to fish plastic worms, I don't think anyone even does that anymore. After the first run he is hooked, period.

20. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    When the fish bites hard I set the hook. I use J hooks pole fishing