Blue catfish question

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Timber Cat, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    Just wanted to see if it was common for a blue cat to take a live bream.I have never seen one do it until last Thursday when my son caught a 18lber:smile2: .Usally we catch em on cut bait:confused2: Just curious to see what ya'll think.Thanks!

2. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I've caught more on live bait than cut bait, but I fish mostly with live bait.

3. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Harrison TN
    Name:
    Eric Maurer
    I love to use small live bream, but you're usually looking at those 15 lb+ before they're big enough to handle 'em. A big blue will inhale them in a heartbeat, for some reason they really like them. I'm always amazed at how bluegill, cut or live, work ALMOST as well as skipjack or shad! I'm never concerned if they're the only bait I have!

4. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I use live perch or bream alot and have had good luck with blues and flatheads. I would rather use Shad or Skipjacks.

5. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    what exactly is a "bream"??

6. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Harrison TN
    Name:
    Eric Maurer
    Here in the south, and maybe other places, all of the sunfish are lumped together as "bream", pronounced "brim". In the Great Lakes region we called them all bluegill, even though there are quite few different sunfish species. Some places call them "perch", although they're not related to the yellow perch.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
  8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    a bream is what people up north call a perch.a perch is what people down south call all members of the sunfish family.

9. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Bream, perch, slicks, goggle eye : are all names used around here for any bluegill, green sunfish, pumpkin seed or any sunfish or panfish, besides crappie,or ya can just call'em what they really are, "bait".

10. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have caught plenty of nice blues on live perch/bream/sunfish. Big cats of all types love 'em. One drawback is in current they don't survive very well on a hook, so ya might as well chop them up in that situation, but I think live works better.

11. Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Blue Gills work great. I don't know about everybody else but when I fish using cut bait I usually fish a 7/o or 8/o circle hook. When I have live gills I downsize to 4/o octupus hooks. I think it keeps them moving more with the reduction in weight. Also, when fishing with the circles I fish with a closed bail. On the octupus hooks I leave the bail open and let it run briefly before crossing it's eyes.

The live bait also ups your chances of hooking up with a variety of species.

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ya I hear that people catch blues on mostly cut bait, but I rather use live bream. u get more bites.

13. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    We've done pretty well on live perch on blues in the river down here. This year, I'm just dying to try some live perch under a big bobber of some kind. I think it'll be a lot of fun if I can keep the silly gar away from my bait.

14. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    Thanks for the comments everybody!:smile2: I have fished live bream for a while for flatheads.And have done well,just no real big ones YET:wink: .I had never seen or heard of a blue hitting them.I knew they eat shad,but have always fished it cut up for blues.That is until last week:lol: .My son and I both were shocked when that one hit the bream we had out.And he didn't waste any time at all going away with it! I still see the look on my sons face when he was reelin him in and when we got him in the boat.Memories that will last a life time for sure:big_smile: !!!!

15. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have caught several blues on live perch on the red river below denison dam. i would have a couple rods out with cut shad and perch heads and one or two with live perch for flatties. more often than not i would hang blues on the livebait.
    that's great to hear about your boy hanging into a good one bud!

16. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    We use 'em quite a bit during the winter with some success.