Blue catfish or White catfish?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by beakus, Nov 21, 2006.

1. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    has anybody herd of blues being called whites or is there a "white catfish"?

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Around these parts, "White Cat" is slang for Blue Cat. There are White Cats, though they were originally coastal "brackish water" fish I believe. They have been successfully stocked in some other areas though. I believe the world record is now from a California lake. Don't think they are too common around here.

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
  4. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The white cat has a big head but most of them are blue color. I dont know why there called white cat but they are a member of the bull head family. They dont get very big.

5. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    I catch White cats in the MS river and if you dont know the differences between whites and blues it can be confusing. Whites dont get very big and they are some good eating.

6. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    oops, I forgot to mention that the easiest way to tell a White cat is the tail is more of a fan tail and the blue has a forked tail.

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    A blue coming from really muddy water will look "white". People around here insist these are "Mississippi Whites".

Bullsnot!

8. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I catch white cats here in coastal NC I actually have one in my aquarium. I will post a pic here later if I get a chance. They look more like a channel cat than they do a blue. The anal fin has the least rays and they tail is different. Remember a blue cat has an anal fin with about 27-33 rays on it and its a straight line. a channel has less and its rounded. The white cat has the least and its also rounded. I have caught 4-5lb white in the river here, but they do get bigger.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    White catfish are not Blues, they is another breed of catfish. we have White catfish but I have never caught one.

10. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    iv caught white catfish here in ky , i beleive they were mississippi whites . i know a lake near here where i live that has white cats in it that are quite large but the lake is also inhabited by water mocasins . this lake was flooded during the 39 flood alot of the fish in it were traped from that flood .

11. cat-chaser

cat-chaser New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've caught white cats & blue cats side by side in northeast Louisiana in creeks & bayous fed directly by the Mississippi River

12. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    Yeah, they are mostly found in the MS river.

13. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Every one has said what I wanted to say:tounge_out:

14. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    The white catfish are somewhat rare to most anglers because they inhabit the smallest natural range of all catfish. often called the Potomac cat whites at one time was limited to the atlantic coastal states.and a few of the gulf states westward to texas. They have been successfully introduced into many river and lakes as well as numerous pay lakes across the country.
    White are one of the smaller cats other then bull heads usually weigh only 1 or 2 pounds. The world record white cat is 21.8 lbs taken from Success lake in California.

In appearance white catfish are very similar to channel cats a;though they are never spotted and do not grow as large. counting the rays on the anal fins will positively identify the white cat.It should have 19 to 23 rays. Although white often possess the olive orlbluish coloration of the channel cat they typically display a sharp demarcation between the darker color of the side and the cremy white belly. Some white cats also apper to be mpottled with milky pale gray to dark ble splotches.

like the channel xats, white cats will tolerate swiftly flowing streams but prefer more sluggish currents like taht found in marshes and bayous. White also tolerate brackish water and thus are often found in the lower reaches of the coastal rives where other cats. One great thing about white catfish is that they are gluttonous feeder they will strike virually any bait offerd to them. That and the fact that theyare not as nocturnal as the other cats has made them quite popular in pay to fish lakes. Because white cats are so similar to other cats they will only be discussed when necessary. For the most part white are basically channel cats that often live in more brackisk water and catching them is no different the catching channel cats.

This is from the pages of the American catfish angler library hope it helps.

15. rangercatman

rangercatman Member

State:
    Cameron, NC
    When i lived in savannah GA, white cats are the main cat you will catch in the coastal waters local to savannah. (Ogeechee, cannoche rivers) they are easy to catch we use long shank 8 hook and a small cut of worm w/ a bobber set at 2 ft during summer months. we would average 30-80(our best) in an hour. they are easy to catch and no one really fishes for them. out of all those cats we might get 1 or 2 at the 3lb mark. 90% of what we would catch was under a 1lb. They look like small blues, there anal fin is rounded & dosent look like a comb(like a true blue cat)

16. rangercatman

rangercatman Member

State:
    Cameron, NC
    Heres A Pic Of What A White Cat Looks Like(looks Alot Like A Blue) ----this Is Average Size For A Good Sized White Cat(1 1/2lbs)

Dave

Attached Files:

17. Osprey

Osprey New Member

State:
    Texas
    Seems to be a lot of confusion for people in distinguishing White Catfish from Blue's and Channel's. You know what they say "a picture is worth a thousand words." So Check'em out.

All fish on the top part of photo's are Channel Cats. All the fish at the bottom of the photo's are White Catfish ("White Bullheads")

White Catfish - Are a type of Bullhead. Notice the size of the head compared to the Channel Cat. The head in my opinion is the dead give away. It's much larger in comparison to the body. It's coloration is similar to Blue Catfish, but even more similar to a White Shark. The tail of a White Cat is only slightly forked as opposed to the deeply forked tail of Channel and Blue Cats. Someone on here mentioned it as being kind of like a fantail, and I think that's paints a pretty good picture of White Cats tail.

Hope the info. helps?

Attached Files:

18. Osprey

Osprey New Member

State:
    Texas
    You actually catch BIG HEADED White Cats in the Mississippi River? You ever fish Yucatan Lake? As you stated it can be confusing for Anglers to identify the differences. I posted some pictures at the end of this thread, that might help people in distinguishing the differences.

19. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Great set of pics Rod! That definitely clears things up alot for me.

20. Dougg

Dougg New Member

State:
    Angier, North C