blue catfish or channel catfish???

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEBRASKA TALK' started by fmb, Aug 11, 2009.

1. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
  2. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    That marked fin says it all,,It looks like a blue to me:wink:

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I was thinking the same thing too. Blue!:wink:

4. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    so how do you explain the angled anal fin??? looks like a point to me...a blues is dead strait...

this is why I posted it...I want more info....

5. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I would be careful, I received a profile infraction for referencing that forum here on the BOC. I'd say blue but the picture is poor. After a heated debate with the membership there about how poorly G&P manages things I was banned. It seems the nefga site is run by G&P and they think they're above reproach.

6. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    thanks for looking out....I just wanted to more info about blues...because if that is one I've been getting alot of them lately

7. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    IT IS A Blue gum 100%.... Blue mixed with a Channel..... i see them in the Miss alot...

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  8. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    I've heard of the blue's crossing with the channies. But I think that's 100% blue

9. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    To be honest i think it is a hybrid!!THe fin is like a blue but the head an tail look like a channel!!

10. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    the outer margin of anal fin needs to be strait for a true blue...this one is clearly rounded...I can see the anal fin is strait but the front part is not..

I guess we'll never know without some DNA...

But when I posted one that looked the same as this and called it a blue, everybody said I was wrong:confused2: I was was counting the number of fins on mine...next time I get one I'm posting up close pictures...

I still say channel....maybe a hybrid....good post tho

11. Huskercat

Huskercat New Member

State:
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Honestly...that's the toughest call I've seen yet. I've caught alot of both blues and channels in my day and have never been this stumped. I'm leaning towards channel though - just because the color towards the rear of the fish looks too brown to be on a blue, and the head dosen't look quite right - but that's a damn tough call. It could honestly go either way. Also, there are not actually that many lakes with blues in them here in NE unless they were intentionally stocked at some point. But, if the posts hold true, someone pulled an 80lbr out of that pit so there is obviously blues in it. I suppose that the pits along the MO could very well have blues in them due to river flooding etc...The one thing I have noticed about catfishermen in NE (and I'm not trying to offend anyone here) is that lots of people get them confused with channels and I believe that this is because people want so badly to catch a blue that they want to believe that every big channel is a blue. Although the resemblence is quite similar on large fish, the smaller ones are very easy to tell apart. If it's less than 35lbs and it's west of Omaha, with a few exceptions, it's most likely a Channel. Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Either way, that is one hell of a nice fish!!! Good thread Frank :big_smile:

12. Rollinunknown

State:
    Missouri
    its a hybrid guys ... i catch them often ... im gonna put the spot out here for you guys (Missouri people).

55 to Bates get off go east... Broadway go south go to Davis St go east when you dead end at the river go left ... put some skip jack on a hook throw your stuff out and wait 15 mins and catch 10-55lbs easy on the right night .. i only take one pole when its good .. It sucks baiting a pole as your other pole comes out of the poll holder cuz you for got to set the drag and zings the ground with every skip as it hits the water :confused2:.(Gold surf rod & Okuma reel)

watch out there are some CRAZY HUGE CARP THERE ALSO since its a corn/weat/soybean place. Every fish i catch there is full of corn/weat.:wink:

I know someone knows this spot. This spot was number 4 on my fav spots around st louis have fun local's.

13. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    I gotta go there... i writin that down!! thanx Rob

14. Rollinunknown

State:
    Missouri

No biggie it wouldn't be fun if no one els ever gets to catch fish...

There 2 types of fishermen ....

1st. Is the guy who pulls out his pics and shows everyone ... in the back of his mind thinks hes hot $hit and wont help 1 person due to he thinks they will catch a bigger fish then him.

2d. Is the guy like me .... i hear someone wants to fish and even if they never have caught a gill before we are loadin up my truck headed to the big fish hole im baitin throwin there stuff out and letin them set the hook and get a nice fish as i take a pic of them holdin up a fish that IT TAKES MOST PEOPLE THERE WHOLE DANG LIFE TO CATCH...... from then on they are hookd.

God will bless those who help others hands down no if and or buts about it .:wink:

15. Huskercat

Huskercat New Member

State:
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Amen, Brother! I agree with ya 110%!

16. Rich.Carpenter

Rich.Carpenter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    That ought to be part of some fisherman's manifesto, Rob. I wish we all approached it that way. Bugs me when people won't even tell you where they caught a fish, wanting to keep it all to themselves, much less give you tips on what works there.

Oh, and I think it's a blue. The head and mouth are what strike me as identifying.

17. JUG_LINE

JUG_LINE New Member

State:
    NE Oklahoma
    The fish looks more like a blue than a channel. Hybrid? I don't know I might go with that.

1. The fish is larger than the average channel cat.

2. The anal fin may not look straight in the pic. But it isn't rounded like a channel should be either. I think its just a unusual pic and the fin could be straighter.

3. Color is often misleading but it has a more traditional blue color.

:0a23:

18. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Good post man. I agree with you. I have no secret fishing holes