Blue Catfish or Channel Catfish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by autogyroenthusiast, Apr 14, 2009.

1. autogyroenthusiast

autogyroenthusiast New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hi all,

I'm new here and just wanted to thank all the contributors, especially in regards to terminal tackle, rigging, and bait advice. I hope to eventually help some others as I have been helped. I grew up fishing for eatin sized channels and bullheads and still love it. But because of this fish caught last fall, my blood is all hot for some big ones.

I brought this up elsewhere and the consensus was this it was a blue catfish. I'm not convinced I've caught my first blue catfish. Tough to see in the photo maybe, but the tail was VERY forked, rather than more squared. So have I caught my first blue or my biggest channel?

Good fishing to you all.

Attached Files:

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Who says a Blue Cat has a squared tail?

The real tell-tale is the anal fin. In a Blue Cat the outer margin of the anal fin is squared off like a barbers comb and will have 30-36 rays. Outer margin of a channel cat's anal fin is rounded with 24-29 rays.

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Brian. What part of Ohio are you from? Lots of good people and information here....Welcome aboard! rollo

4. autogyroenthusiast

autogyroenthusiast New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks rollo. Originally from up near Lake Loramie but now live in Cincinnati. Been fishing Hamilton County Park lakes and the Great Miami and it's feeder creeks. Still learning how to river fish, caught my first 3 flatheads last fall one evening at sunset, biggest was 24 inches so I'm excited for that first monster. It was funny after I caught those first 3 I was going to cast out again and my spool fouled and the bait landed in like 2 foot of water and I was like "%$#@!" then my line went straight and I about had my rod pulled straight out of my hand. That fish wasn't more than 5 yards from me and he must've nailed that gill as soon as it hit the water. 20 lb Line went ping and I think I missed a nicer one. The only thing I don't like about fishing the Great Miami is being alone on the river at night, so if anyone is looking for a partner to fish below Hamilton, shoot me a PM. Most of the time it's just kids partying, but I'm always a little concerned about who else might be wandering around down there. If I go to the river at night, it's generally during the week when I don't have to contend with kids shotgunning Busch Lights while I'm trying to get some peace.

5. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    And whats wrong with shotgunning Busch Lights?:eek:oooh: Just kidding man. Welcome to the BOC!

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    That looks like a 7-9 lb channel to me. Everyone talks about the anal fin which is correct, but the difference I noticed when I was on the James was the eyes. For a large fish the blue seems to have smaller eyes than a channel. Call me crazy but I swear that them blues have piggy eyes compared to a channel.