Blue catfish only in DEEP water?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by indiana_fishin, Dec 27, 2005.

1. indiana_fishin

indiana_fishin New Member

State:
    Indiana Baby
    im fishing a little channel thats about 12ft deep :confused: right under a bridge with a little current.This was an EXCELLENT spot during the summer,but i tried just as it started gettin cold around here,(could only stand it for about an hr)but i had no bites so i figured nothing would be biting until the weather warmed up.So uh whats the chance of a biting blue/or channel will be in that hole ready to eat?It just warmed up alot today,i only wore a t-shirt out,and its supposed 2 be warmer tommorrow so i thought this may be a good time to get my lines wet.

2. indiana_fishin

State:
    Indiana Baby
    and how hard is it to find gills in the winter,when catchin bait?

3. sbursik

sbursik New Member

State:
    McKinney Texas
    Here in Texas we get them shallow all year long. Deep and shallow are good patterns. I have seen and hooked BIG blues in shallow water in February when the water temp is in the 30's.

ScottB

4. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Being a novice, I have to admit that I have spent many more hours reading about catfishing than actually being out on the water. My largest blue, at 13#, was probably more of an accident than anything. For a while this year I was beginning to think that it was my destiny to specialize in catching cats that were 4" - 6" long :confused: Regardless, after so much reading and a little time on the water, it seems to me that river fishing is a little different than lake fishing during the winter, in that on rivers the cats like to herd up in deep water close to ledges and/or structure. But in lakes, while they will go to deeper water (like river channels), at times they will venture out to the flats,or shallower water, when the weather warms ups - so the challenge is to figure out the where and when of these patterns. Am I close? Oh: and they also follow the baitfish - but how you figure out where the baitfish go I have no idea.

5. indiana_fishin

State:
    Indiana Baby
    im also thinkin about buyin a cast net,anyone throw there net from the bank?

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I throw my net from the bank here in NC. Work's just as good as a boat as long as you can reach the shad. :)

7. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    casting nets are easy from the shore
    just be careful of big rocks on the bottom
    those things arnt cheap

8. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    In winter the blues tend to go to the deeper water but only because thats where the shad go off and hide in the deeper (i know its against all logic) warmer waters... the blues tend to stay below them picking off the fish that are too weak to survive the cold.

As far as throwing a cast net from shore, i do, but usually i can't reach out far enough to get to the large schools of shad in the channel at my lake but in spring and summer i can catch a few in the areas i throw. still haven't found that magical spot yet though where the shad seem to just jump into my bucket and i don't have to spend all day picking up a few here and a few there.

Good luck and dress warmly when you head out in the cold... it may just be worth your efforts

9. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Here on the Arkansas River in Eastern Oklahoma, the water temp is near 45. I caught two flathead yesterday in 35 feet of water on cut shad, then went up into the mouth of the Canadian River and found bluecats in 3 to 5 feet of water around stumps and driftwood.

Due to low water conditions in Lake Eufaula, there is no water flow in the Canadian, and the flow in the Arkansas is minimal. I can't wait until the spring rains put some water back into Oklahoma!

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Great question. I think you will find actual water temperature would be a better indicator of an upcoming bite, as opposed to outside air temperature. We all love those 60 degree january days, however the fish are still stuck in that 40 degree water. Im not familiar with your area though, but your spending time on the water, so Im betting you will figure it out sooner than later. As for the cast net questions. For you guys slinging the nets from the banks, get yourself some good ol tuna fish and throw little bits at a time out into the water. Wait 5 minutes or so, then make a good solid throw and you should have plenty of bait. The bait fish will go on a frenzy on the tuna. If you can find it, canned makeral (JackMack) works even better. Good Luck Fishing.:cool:

11. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    man i bought my cast net a walmart for 10 bucks, and i havnt needed to buy another one.
    i fish the wabash in vigo county and ive never targeted blues, but my friends and i caught a bunch last year, the biggest being 35#. we just used bluegills and casted a little further out into about 10feet of water.

12. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I buy my nets at Walmart also. I get the 4Ft radius ones, that are blue and come in a little plastic container. Those containers make great storage devices in the boat. I payed about 15 bucks for the nets, and they are invaluable for getting bait. I keep 3 of them on the boat at any given time so I dont lose valuable fishing time mending a net. The only problem I had with them, was they tended to sink a little slow, allowing alot of bait to escape. I quickly recitified that situation with a little monofilament, and about a dozen egg sinkers randomly placed around the net in line with the weights that are already there. That rascal sinks fast now. Good Luck Fishing.

13. imhotep

imhotep New Member

State:
    Rosiclare, Illinois
    i fish the ohio ..and in the winter time when the back water starts up i go in a creek and find shad and then fish the deep holes....u would be amazed at what comes out of them .....very light bites but big fish .....

14. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I have fished three different lakes and rivers for Blues this month and all of them are within a 45-60 minute drive and all of them fish differently. What works on one does not work as well on the other. There are slightly different baitfish in each place. The water depths the fish are being taken from a different also.

As for baitfish depths, we netted Threadfin Shad in 35 feet of water yesterday. There were huge gobs of bait starting at 35' and going down to 40'-45'. All over the lake, anywhere there were deep channels, you would find these lines starting at 35'. Ironically, we did not catch a single Blue in, below, or around any of these large bait pods, and there were many. All the blues were caught in and around 12'-15' of water.

I am telling you all this because there seems to be a wide range of habitat for Blues in cold weather, and it seems to vary greatly from lake to lake and river system to river system. Lots of time on the water helps, and also talking to anglers that fish the same lake or river that you fish will give you an indication of what is working in your exact area.