Blue catfish on upper James River?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by F150Catfish, Jan 26, 2007.

1. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I just wonder theres blue catfish swimming through to upper james??

2. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    There sure is buddy really more channels but there are some blues scattered throughout the upper section, caught one myself in July this past summer.

Wheelmobile07

3. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Thanks, I have see some deep holes in upper james but not sure if theres blue hang out around upper james but it can be.. well theres some nice flathead and channel on upper james. but I am planning to go on low james this year.

4. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    definately some hogs on the lower thats for sure.

Wheelmobile07

5. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    I know there are blues on the upper I have caught them.

Wheelmobile07

6. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    yea all right I will try fishing for blue on upper james. how far upper james you fishing? I tried fishing by near Scottsville last summer. I have seen tons of carp by below bridge Scottsville.

7. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    At the James river state park about 2 miles downstream is where I caught the Blue.

Wheelmobile07

8. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Trey...you mention downstream from the James River State Park...are you talking about the one in Buckingham County?

9. jtr4324

jtr4324 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Every summer it seems like I catch more and more blues, last summer I caught one about 15 and one about 18lbs. This was fourty miles above Richmond.

Attached Files:

10. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Pritch,

That is the one I was referring too we do mostly smallie fishing there but at night we will fish for kitties. I love that park, we always have a blast and take my 12 foot river raft.

Wheelmobile07

11. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I wish I had known that! I used to go there all the time and fish Taylor Pond. I had asked some people if there were catfish in that stretch of river and they said no, matter of fact they were drifting for smallmouth at the time.

Looks like I'll have to check it out sometime. Thanks for the info!

12. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Whoever told you that there aren't any kitties up there, well i guess they don't know what they are talking about, by the looks of the other members pics and my story proves them wrong. Nothing left to do but try for yourself. There are some big ole flatties in that upper section as well. Talked to one of the wardens up there and he told us to keep all the flatties that we caught because they have become so populated up there that they are eating all the panfish. He must have been right too because the whole trip all we caught were kitties, and smallies, no gill, redbreast, or redeyes. He also said that stretch of river was full of them years ago.

Wheelmobile07

13. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Ive never fished around james river park, but i know from eagle rock downstream to the dam at rt. 501 that there is good fishing for flats and channels. I think now that this year i will try some floats farther down river.

14. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    I love fishing that section of the river, I have no doubt that further down stream that there are numbers of kitties.

Wheelmobile07