Blue Catfish on the Potomac River

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by potomacriverrat, Dec 30, 2005.

1. potomacriverrat

potomacriverrat New Member

State:
    maryland
    just joined up! Cool place to be. I'm 42 and been river rattin' since I was 14. Mostly on Potomac around Carderock on Md side. Didn't catch any Blues in my youth but now they're about all I get. Seems they kinda took over "My" part of the river, which is cool. I still get an occasional channel or shovelhead. In response to ANYONE fishing around the river from the Mather Gorge to the Cabin John Bridge. BEWARE!!! The river can kill!! Have a healthy respect for the river!!!! We all want to catch big cats not a drowning victim. Please don't wade or swim in the river 'til you get around White's Ferry and then only when the river is low. If you start to see the water change color haul butt out of there fast!!!

On using mackeral for bait, sounds good to me. I've been using Bluegill heads for years. Just started using circles and they work for me. My biggest Blue is 25lbs. I found "My" hole years ago I reckon it is around 60' deep at the most, probably shallower than that I'm not sure. Walleyes there too. I once cleaned an eating sized blue (4 to 6lbs) that had a cooked crab claw in its stomach!! So they'll eat anything!! Of course picnickers threw that claw in the river!!

Anyone have any thoughts on the possibility of Sturgeon still living in the river? There were times at night when I've hooked up on something huge that didn't act like any cat I've ever felt!! I use big tackle so it wasn't as if I was being outgunned.

Sorry I'm so long winded Tightlines everybody!!! 'Rat

2. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    RR-

according to some studies on the potomac there still are some sturgeons in the waters, not as many as say 20 years ago but still some out there... Tim had something take off like a freight train one day with one of his baits and he thinks striper and i thought sturg till i found out the fish hit it in mid drop then i changed my mind... The Sturg's tend to stay down further towards the cheasepeake (as far as all studies have found) but i wouldn't put it past them to get up further.... Me personally i would love to hook into one... even just a 4 foot long one...

When you say you've caught a shovelhead... are you refering to a bullhead? or a flathead catfish? or some other species (i know a couple other specs, not cats, that have that same nickname)?

Oh before i forget... welcome to the board... If you ever need a fishing buddy to head out on the water w/ let me know i'll be more then happy to join you out on the water to catch some cats :)

3. h3ohawaii

h3ohawaii New Member

State:
    maryland
    river rat...

welcome to the board dude...glad your getting the blues because I cant find one to save my life!!! Not for lack of trying though. I've been spending alot of time around blue plains lately. Figured the blues would be in tight to the discharge there but no takers yet. Did have a four fish on last weekend that came off but I'm not making any predictions on what they were. Did finally get one to the boat that turned out to be a 16.8 lb channel. Nailed a 21.4 channel the week before that. Both of those fish ate herring. Gonna give it a rip tomorrow morning unless I'm hungover... :eek:

4. potomacriverrat

State:
    maryland
    I wonder still if they are above Littlle Falls Time will tell.

5. potomacriverrat

State:
    maryland
    keep trying and sounds like you got some awesome channels!! "My' part of river either seems to have a an abundance of blues or a dearth of channels. Channels were in my youth. My Daddy caught a bunch and now it seems we get alot of blues my way

6. jaycool

jaycool New Member

State:
    maryland
    Hey welcome to the site i'm new myself only about one month now. I would say to hook up with tim hagan outdoors he guides down that way for cats. And I find out more about cats and the river in 5 hours then in 5 years on my own. You can ask him about thing that work down on the potomac I no he put me and my son on over 50 cats in 5 hours with a 25 and a 40 lb blue. Maybe he can show you some things to help put some bigger fish your way. And i no he can hook you up with some Danny Kings Catfish Bait and just that bait will put more fish on your hooks I saw that first hand.

7. h3ohawaii

h3ohawaii New Member

State:
    maryland
    Rat,

What part of the river do you live on? How about we trade fishing spots for a while!!! I'm not complaining about catching that size of channel cats but I sure do like the blues. Wonder if they simply moved upriver with the onset of colder water temps...? In an earlier post you mentioned catching shovelheads...is that the local name for flatheads? I havent caught one of those since I lived in Texas. Love catching those!!

8. potomacriverrat

State:
    maryland
    hey h3o, Blues I catch are summertime blues and they are around Carderock on the Md side. I aint been since sept. Promotion at work, wife honey do's yadda yadda yadda!! (yeah it's my fault) LMAO! Gonna try to get my act together for the new year. Holler!

9. potomacriverrat

State:
    maryland
    we've always called 'em shovelheads but I reckon they are the same as Flatheads. Used to catch a bunch on the Shenandoah at night. In Va Fountainhead Regional Park used to get good press on spawning Flatheads. You might want to check it out. Too far for me (Laurel MD), besides I like my Blues at Carderock! RR

10. potomacriverrat

State:
    maryland
    hey jay Cool
    Thanks for the tip but I like rattin' on "my" part of the river Hagan too far south for me. Well it isn't actually "My" part just wish it was!!!! If I could just get people to quit littering there. If I had a nickel for every worm container, Corona bottle and miles of monofilament I've took out of Carderock, I could afford an overnight shark trip from OC! Blues are cool, Tightlines!! 'Rat

11. jaycool

jaycool New Member

State:
    maryland
    I would say tht you are catching bullheads or mudcats Md DNR says we dont have flatheads here. But if you are catching flathead then you need to check one in any size would be a state recond as we dont have any at all listed.

12. potomacriverrat

State:
    maryland
    hey jaycool, Don't get many shovelheads but they are for real. I know difference between Bullhead and other species on river. Like I said I don't get many (I'm talking 25+ years of fishing) but I do ocassionally get one. Tightlines 'Rat

13. h3ohawaii

h3ohawaii New Member

State:
    maryland
    rat...gonna head up river to Carderock tomorrow and see if anything pulls my string. Will let you know if anyone is home.

14. h3ohawaii

h3ohawaii New Member

State:
    maryland
    no joy...changed our minds and went to Blue Plains instead. Biggest of the day was about 6lbs. To top off the day, got a flat on the trailer at the ramp.
    oh well...beats a day at the house!!!

15. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    well guys we do have some flats here in Maryland DNR will say no but we do. Potomac has some not alot at this time i did have one this year around three sisters. But the Susquehanna has alot more above and below the dam this will be fun to see when we host the two tournaments their someone i hope will catch a flat. And with DNR being there to checkout some fish then they will see we have them. But if you catch one call DNR is a state record at this time as we don't have any listed. Hey maybe i did to go catch me a flathead .

16. h3ohawaii

h3ohawaii New Member

State:
    maryland
    Tim,

Speaking of state records, my partner caught a channel cat this past Saturday that missed the tidal record by 7 ounces. His fish was 29lbs 3oz and he got it on cut bait. The DNR folks didnt seem interested in weighing it for an official weight to see if it could beat the current record of 29-10. The fish will be entered for a citation for 2006 though. The fish is alive and doing well but it will be released at an undisclosed location. So close yet so far...

Marty

17. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Hey Marty man that great to hear ya DNR aint big on the Channels as much people who say they have a big channel really have a blue. Have seen alot of people down there say they had channels over 30 lbs. But when they count the rays on the anal fin they are blues. Hope you have some pic's to show it off. If you still have him i can get it weighed for you for the record if you like as for the citAtion that is a joke here anymore just a paperand 10 lbs and up can get one. Maryland did away with the patch and things. But I know that filling i was 10 ozs away but its a new year and that fish will be bigger now.

18. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Marty,

Thats a shame about the record man... Heck of a Nice channel from MD waters though :) ... DNR are ** NICE** sometimes... everytime i see them at the Mid atlantic show in Timonium they always seem to have a **smile on there face..**.. they seem to be more about making sure people don't break the rules rather then making sure fishing is a fun sport and one that people know the rules for... Im surprised they didn't want to weigh the fish though... idk i've gotta contact them and get a few numbers anyway i'll see what their policy is on that.

Thanks BOC Staff

19. h3ohawaii

h3ohawaii New Member

State:
    maryland
    Oh well...what can you do other than walk through the DNR office in Annapolis with this hellacious channel cat dripping water all over their nice shiny floors--demanding an official weight. they'd crap if we did that!!! Like Tim said, the DNR biologist probably has heard all kinds of claims of bigger cats were really channels by people who couldnt find their butt with both hands much less accurately ID a fish species.

PC...I agree with the "nice" DNR types. They have a job to do but they need to be smarter about it...dont want to get me going on that topic.

I KNOW for a fact this is a channel cat...I can tell just by looking at the anal rays if the fish is a bit older and has lost its spots but I do count the anal rays on the really big fish just to make sure. I'll bet a dollar that my partner comes out on top with that fish for the 2007 Fishing in Maryland annual....unless I catch a bigger one!!! :)

Yeah I got a couple of pics of his fish Tim...how to post it here??

20. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Great I look forward to seeing them posted on here. when you are making your post right below you will see additional options. At attach files click manage attachments and you can upload your pics there.