Blue catfish on the Pee Dee River

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by NCCatter, May 8, 2007.

1. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Myself and Bigcatwannabe have been fishing the Pee Dee river with good success the last 2 weeks. He and his fiance went one night and caught a 21, a 35, and a 42 in less than 2 hours. The 21 and 42 were caught on a crappie rod! They lost another big fish at the boat. We went back 24 hours later and I landed a 37 lb. blue. We returned last night and within 20 minutes of getting set up (using rotten shad for bait) we had a 25 lb. blue hit and 10 minutes later we got a 22 lb. blue, both choosing the rotten shad over the fresh shad we caught an hour before. All these were caught in the same general area. Hopefully our lucky streak will continue for a while longer. Still waiting to hook up with one of the big flatheads that are roaming around up there though!

2. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    You gotta love that Pee Dee river. It is my favorite place to fish. I have fished up that way last year in the river behind the dam in blewitts falls. We caught some huge blues but the flatties we caught were usually in the 5-10lb range. I know where there are smaller ones the bigger ones are around. I couldnt make it up there this year but maybe next april. But if you keep catchin them up there like that I might make a special trip. Yall must fish from the bank or in a boat with a jet drive? Keep up the good reports I love to hear about the Pee Dee.

3. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Actually I fish from either my 18 foot G3 or Bigcatwannabe's 16 foot Tracker jon boat, both with props. But the secret we've found is to wait until they're pulling water to go down below the dam. This way, the rocks aren't as big of a problem, and also it creates current which blues love anyway. To avoid the crowds, we've started going during the week, usually Monday or Wednesday nights. Way too many people up there on the weekends.

4. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Im with you on that Daniel I only fish during the week except when I fish in a tment. I dont like the crowds either. I went today with no luck but I never even saw another boat.