Blue catfish on the James River

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by hookman571, Dec 18, 2006.

1. hookman571

hookman571 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    A couple pictures of a 38 and a 32 lber caught on the James River.
    Both were released. Water temp 48. Air temp 60. Bait was cut Gizzard Shad. Anchored. We caught 6 total 2=10lb 1=20lb 1=38lb and 1=32 lb. and 1 Striped Bass at about 20 inchs. All were released back to the river except the Striped Bass. He was released to the frying pan.
    Fished 6 rods 8 hours. It was a 2 Fish total weigth tournament
    We came in Fifth. 11 boats. 3 of the boats had weights of 102, 103, 104 lbs. Number 9 hooks. 40 lb line, 80 lb leader. Great Day.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Good Day on the water, Russ. Nice pics, too. Thanks.

3. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Nice fish. Was this on Saturday or Sunday?

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Those are some nice blue cats.

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The newest In-Fisherman Mag has an article on catfishing and it is particulary interesting in its discussion of how various states have tried or are trying to enact catfish management plans.I was astonished to read that the commercial fishing industry on the James takes out 1,000,000 lbs a year.Evidently Virginia has enacted a one large fish a day rule and now the commercials want it revoked because they have found a "Market" for the larger blues.What astonished me is what are they doing with all those mercury contaminated catfish.Selling them to restuarants that folks like you and me eat in is what.How can they do that legally?The article aslo said that James gave up the state record fish last year a 95lber.Blues are a recent introduction to the James and the biologist say the fish are gaining 10lbs a year.Not so astonishing given the amount of forage in the river,but it is only a matter of time before the James holds the world record in my opinion.If 95 lbs was caught figure there is a 100lb fish in the and with that growth rate 2010 is going to be the year.The excellent catch and relase ethic on the James and the 1 fish limit for the big ones will protect the fishery until I catch the WR.The James is the best chance for a plus 50 blue in this country in my opinion day in and day out.:smile2: :eek:oooh: :big_smile:

6. hookman571

hookman571 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    It was Sunday the 17th.

7. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Nice job on the blues. I will fish the James one day.

As far as the commercial fisherman taking a 1,000,000 pounds a year, that is unheared of. Imagine how the fishing would be without that amount being taken yearly.

8. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    very nice fish!!! congrats

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Jim I love your post. All very true statements. I too believe a new world record will come from that fishery within ten years.

10. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Jim We are at this time looking into a law in maryland that will limit the bluecats to one fish over 32" per day as well. And with the amount of bait fish that both the james and potomac has to offer they will become to of the top blue cat river.
    Wyliecat says 10 years for a new world record my guest is 5 at tops studys show that the fish in both the james and potomac are growing from 5 to 10 lbs per year there are lots fo 50, 60 and 70 lbs cats being taken now.

11. Powhatan

Powhatan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Great fish hookman571! Hope to see you on the river soon. I am down at Dutch Gap almost every weekend. I just found this site this week..looking forward to meeting you on the river soon.

Chris in Powhatan

12. grantpwll

grantpwll New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Good day of fishing!

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Chris, welcome to the BOC!

14. VaFisherMan

VaFisherMan New Member

State:
    virginia
    All I know is that there are some scary big fish in that water. My first real trip out on the James resulted in a 62, 34, 16, and a 8. We were fishing mid summer, mid day and on a rising tide. My dad caught the 62 and when reeling it in he guessed it weighed 8 pounds, lol. Before that though my brother had a fish hooked that doubled over a heavy duty st. croix saltwater rod. The fish was peeling drag like crazy. Comparing that fish to the 62 made the 62 look small (by the way the rod was bending, etc.) If it was a cat we all guessed it had to be over 100, but that's a guess of course. The guy that took us out took some other friends out later on in the fall and they brought one to the surface that he said looked twice as big as the 62 my dad caught. It's enough to make me invest in a 7 ft. ugly stick tiger rod, a abu garcia 7000 reel, and some big game 50# line. I can't wait til I can get out there again.

15. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Welcome Brian. Hope to see you out there on the James. I usually launch from deep bottom and fish from Presquille back to Dutch Gap. My little Lowe 16 foot Jon doesn't like it past Hopewell. Stop by and say hello if you see me fishing.

16. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va
    i'm hoping to scared on the james this year!

my gill net should be in next week!

vaughn

17. VaFisherMan

VaFisherMan New Member

State:
    virginia
    62, 34, and 16 pounds

Attached Files:

18. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va
    nice looking fish!

vaughn

19. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Those are Nice fish! That 62lber is a "whopper"!:wink:

20. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Sounds like a great day on the water man thats a big boy but hes ugly as sin. Looks like hes been around for a while.