Blue Catfish on the Beds

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Billy_Mojo, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Billy_Mojo

Billy_Mojo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I keep reading that right now the blues are on the beds and just getting ready to come off. Most of where I see folks saying that is regarding MO river fishing.

My question is would that pretty much sum up the whole area's spawn season conditions? I know, I know, Smithville Lake isn't known for blues, and it's an entirely different world fishing lakes -- But I've got rivers and cricks around here to hit as well and just wondering even about what the other two kinds of cats are doing.

I seemed to be doing okay up till last weekend but now I wonder if it'll get even better later.

I guess though it don't matter much anyway cause I'm goin' out fishin' either way, even if I only keep feeding the little ones!

But again to repeat myself more clearly, could somebody give me a rough idea about what time of year they go to the beds around here? (Smithville) both on lakes and rivers? All three kinds (blue, flat, and channel?)

Oh yeah, even gar. We used to tear the hell out of em when the gar went to nest -- they'd be up on them babies just gorgin.

We were pretty in tune with our water in Vernon County but that took lots of trial and error, and me and Wendy are already in our mid forties and don't have enough years left to figure it all out without soebody givin' us a hint or two! (but we're still gonna try !

2. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Right now it's harder just about everyplace I know and each place they have been nesting.

3. Billy_Mojo

Billy_Mojo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    had yeller egg bags in her. naturally I fried them too.

4. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri

There are alot of nice blues in smithville from what I have heard. As far as the spawn goes, I think the majority of the blues are down with the spawn as of now around here, and They spawn earlier in lakes than they do in big rivers. Because they seem to warm up faster.

5. Billy_Mojo

Billy_Mojo New Member

State:
    Missouri

That was pretty much the same further South if my memory is right. We'd be having our Elk's Club tournaments up the Osage right about now due to catalpa worms. But then again we'd have 'em pretty much any time we wanted to. Everybody put in at Taberville in the morning and run wherever ya want and come back in about 1 PM to weigh in the best stringer out of a 3-man boat. Boy them was fun days, MDC Officer always sittin there at the ramp keepin an eye on us comin in.

We ain't been into any blues on the lake but we been fishin' daytime from the bank -- brother-in-law hasn't got around to sellin' me his broken boat yet, but when he does and I get it runnin I'll find them blues if there out there. I know from what I've been readin' there's flats up in here and I'll find some of them too. White Bass too, I am so f@#$#%in' anxious I start to get itchy hives just thinkin about draggin rapalas and rooster tails across a school of bustin' shad with my wife and introducing her to them little swimmin' bulldogs.

6. Billy_Mojo

Billy_Mojo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    and with that one I meant we tore hell outta the little channels in the daytime 'cause they was up in the gar beds rippin the shreds outta the gar roe. Started to make sense when I thought about it, naturally the gar would be eating the bluegill or anything else that would come around their nests but what the heck the channels fed on em anyway.