Blue Catfish on Stockton?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by huntoften, Aug 4, 2009.

1. huntoften

huntoften New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We took a break from crappie fishing last week and did some drifting on Stockton. Small shad were plentiful, but big ones tough to find...found two big ones and that was enough to give it a try. Wouldn't you know...after one drift, the wind DIES...I mean dead calm in the middle of the day on Stockton is unheard of. Used the trolling motor to make up for it, but I'd rather have that 10mph wind. :crazy:

Ended up with some channels...one decent one and the others smallish. No blue cat or white cat or whatever you call them. Talked to some other fishermen and they said there weren't any in the lake. I find that hard to believe. Anyone out there know if there are blues on this lake? I know there are flathead, so surely there must be some blues...surely! :big_smile:

2. Double L

Double L New Member

State:
    Mo
    I have fished that lake for over 20 years and I dont remeber catching 1

3. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    I caught a 20#er too down by the greenfield launch

4. Double L

Double L New Member

State:
    Mo

Is that the one with the big ugly head and the rest looks like a channel? if so I have caught a couple of those , even caught one out of the river Sunday morning.

5. Double L

Double L New Member

State:
    Mo
    I have caught blues out of Truman, but the ones I have caught out of the river or Stockton dont look the same.

6. jethrot1

jethrot1 New Member

State:
    mo
    We've been fishing on Stockton for one long time. I've caught blues between the CC area and Ruark Bluffs area. I catch them on nightcrawlers and minnows. Tight-Lines Bros and Sisters.

7. Billy_Mojo

Billy_Mojo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't know what it is about 'em but nowhere else I've fished have I caught these except Osage and Truman. Maybe they started somehow back when the built Bagnall I don't know, but they seem to be peculiar to the Osage drainage system, and we always called 'em white cats. They behave the same pretty much as what people always called blues, but I think somehow there's a fertile hybrid blue-channel that sustains itself and spawns up in the riffles above Rockville that get sorta the coloring of blues with the straight-edged fin, but only grows like a channel and never gets to the size that has the thick lips and big ol' knotty head.

So in Truman you don't know if you've got a blue or a white unless it weighs about 20-25 lbs.

That's just an opinion of course.

I've never ever caught a white out of Stockton, Son Crick, Roark, anywhere that drains into Stockton. That's odd? don't know. Only flats and channels. That's waters I grew up fishin' in and around.