Blue catfish on Lake Wylie

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by turfman, Aug 11, 2006.

1. turfman

turfman New Member

State:
    SC
    can anyone help me with catching blues on wylie. I have been out there a couple of times but never got into any blues at all. a pot load of channels and some flats but no blues. any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Tough to target them this time of year. The blue in my avatar came from Wylie, but I was actually looking for flatheads and had caught a couple of channels before that. Winter seems to be a better time to find them on the upper rivers.

The Catawba and South Fork Rivers seems to produce more blues for some reason, but they can be hard to find in the summer. They hit basically the same thing the channels do, and they hit whether drifting or anchored.

After I caught my 55 pounder there a bilogist from the SCDNR contacted me and I asked him about the blue population and he thinks there will continue to be more and more 20+ blues coming out of that lake in the next few years.

3. turfman

turfman New Member

State:
    SC
    thanks alot have you ever caught any blues on the sc side of 49 bridge?

4. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    i have never targeted blues on wylie,to be honest with you,didnt know there were any in there,figured there was a few from being released by folks,but never knew they were stocked in there,so to answer your question on blues below bb brige,i have never caught one,i have fished wylie for many years and caught plenty of catfish,mostly channels and whites,i do all my big cat fishing at cedar creek on lake wateree or 378 and 601,fish santee in cold weather months,my personal best by the way is a 53 pound blue caught at cedar creek 2 years ago,but after reading about wyliecats catch i will have to devote a whole lot more time closer to home,By the way wyliecat,that is a great fish and congrats on it,i am pretty new to the site and enjoy reading alot of you alls post and articles,sounds like wylie will be the place to be for blues in the future,i know one thing for sure,there is no lack of shad at all in wylie,so those blues have plenty to gorge themselves on and grow to be big boys,look foward to hooking into one soon.

5. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I don't know about Wylie but up here at Keowee the blues are either super deep or up in the rivers were the cold water is being pumped out of Jocasse. If I were you I would find the deepest, coldest, most oxygenated water possible and fish that.

6. rattler316

rattler316 New Member

State:
    sc
    Iv'e caught some blues ther nothing to brag on. I caught them several miles up from buster bridge.

7. rattler316

rattler316 New Member

State:
    sc
    Also in the creek Feeder creek that is. Had caught a good many in the creeks.