Blue Catfish on Depthfinder

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by gweber, Nov 2, 2005.

1. gweber

gweber New Member

I'm new to posting, but I've been reading this board for months. You are all a wealth of information and a nice group of people. It's very nice to see people cooperating on such a great subject.

I live in Virginia and I mostly fish the James for Blue Cat

2. slqfan

slqfan New Member

State:
    Stockdale, TX
    Welcome to the best site in the world!

3. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC brother.

4. gweber

gweber New Member

Oops I didn't finish that thread...

I fish mostly on the James in Virginia. I have a question about what I'm seeing on my depthfinder. There are several 30-40' holes I've been looking at with a fair number of big arcs at the bottom and just off the bottom as well. I've baited up and caught fish in a couple of the holes. I see suspended fish as well, most of which are horizontal arcs. BUT, I'm seeing some fish suspended at 20-25' and the arcs are at a 45 degree angle. Are these fish suspending with their body at an angle like that? Anybody else seen this before?

gweber

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Welcome to the BOC.I have seen those lines often and have been told by guides at Santee that they are gar.Where do you fish on the James.I get up there but not as often as Iwould like.Going to try more as the winter bite picks up.I have only fished from the bridge east of Hopewell down but have caught some mighty big fish.

6. gweber

gweber New Member

jim,

I have fished in the old river channel at deep bottom and also at dutch gap, which is a few miles up river from where you have fished. The river is much smaller at the places I fish, but there are some nice holes to fish. My biggest fish so far has been a 46# Blue. I am on a quest for a fish in the 50#+ range. How big have you caught them down river?

gweber

7. BIGCAT GarryEads

BIGCAT GarryEads Head Cheese of the USCA!

State:
    Francisco Ind
    GWeber Welcome to the B.O.C :)

BIGCAT GarryEads

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    GWEBER 58lbs and a number over 50. If you can I would highly recommend you fish with a guide, They can put you on plus 50s. Its worth the investment. One guide I know and his brother once caught 4 count em 4 plus fifties at the same time.Perhaps we can get together sometime and there are several good fishermen on here from that area.

9. gweber

gweber New Member

jim,

I have invested heavily and I agree it's totally worth the guide fees. I'm going again with a guide this Saturday. He is a great guy, very knowlegable about the river. He can put you on huge flatheads upriver or the big blues mid-river. I'm hoping for a 50#+ this trip, but it's all good, 20s and 30s are almost always there on these trips and they are still a great deal of fun.

gweber

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    People don't believe me when I tell them that 20s and 30s are annoying on the James.Send me a PM about the guide and how it turned out.You can't mention the guide by name on here.

11. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Welcome to the B.O.C. gweber! :D

12. gweber

gweber New Member

Sorry about the guide name thing, that won't happen again. Nobody believes me either about the 20s and 30s, but I think there are large numbers of them in the James and its tributaries.

13. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Welcome to the site!! Hope you enjoy yourself and good luck on that #50.

14. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Gweber,send me the name by private post.I have fished with a few of them but not all.Perhaps you would like to do a guide trip together some time.

15. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    i know the guide you speak of just by saying he goes for flatheads .. really nice guy .. gave me bait one time when i got my cast net hung up with no backup

i fish the james from the deepwater terminal to the BH bridge .. my best so far is a 63 .. last trip out i landed a 52 and witnessed a 61 from the very same area

feel free to pm me if you ever have any questions

as far as locating them i use the double bounce technique now after seeing how well it works .. basically set your depth finder to over twice the depth of the water you are in .. watch for marks on the bottom that could be catfish or wood/rocks .. when you see a mark look down on the depthfiner to double the depth of the water .. (you'll see how it shows double bottom lines) .. whatever shows up on the original and double bounceback is a fish .. easy as that .. anything that only shows up on top in the original depth is a log or other structure

16. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I'm fairly new to fish finders, but as I understand it, the secondary echo comes from the sonar signal bouncing off the object (bottom, tree, whatever), then coming back to the surface where it reflects off either the bottom of the boat or the water/air interface and makes another round-trip to the bottom and back before being picked up by the transducer -- two round trips mean the distance traveled is twice the distance of the primary echo, so you see the secondary return.

But what is it about the way a fish is made (muscle mass) that it would reflect *differently* on the second pass of the sonar than a tree or log (with a presumably higher density) would?

Seems to me that, if anything, a fish *wouldn't* show up on the secondary return where a log *would* show up.

Again, I'm new to sonar so there's probably something about all this that I don't understand. But intuitively, I'd expect the secondary return to only show the bigger "things".

17. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    you are 100% correcto

i posted it backwards .. good catch!

hard objects show up in both bounces while soft objects like fish do not .. therefore anything that is absent from the second return is a fish

takes a good eye to see some of them and a lot of graph studying

i think i'm gonna go get me some of those what's missing from this picture games to practice!

18. gweber

gweber New Member

Thanks for all the greetings and help, I appreciate being welcome to such a great resource.

tank3544 a 63# and 52# are awsome fish in anyone's book. As I said, I'm looking to move past the 40# fish and get into something in the 50# range. I'm going tomorrow with the guy we both know, and yes he gives bait out to anyone he sees in need. I was with him last year, we were fishing near the deep bottom boat ramp, and there were two guys on the dock with chicken livers asking about how to catch the big ones. He tossed them a big gizzard shad and we ran back by two hours later and they had a 40#+ fish.

On the other hand I was out two weeks ago and I could not get a bait to save my life, I was on my own. I ran into another guide with a 30' gill net, he was unloading dozens of big shad. He wouldn't even make eye contact with me. I watched him unload his gill net three times, not sure what he could do with 100 shad.

tank3544, have you ever caught anything near the bridge over the old river channel at dutch gap? The one on the way out of the Rich. Yacht Basin. I haven't had a bite there, but I've seen a bunch on my depthfinder.

gweber

19. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    you'll often see fish there .. i'm not so sure their catfish .. never had a bite there or heard of anyone catching anything there

i think i may know that guide too .. orange fishing waders? you can ignore him .. he's in it for himself .. the only one .. all the others are at least semi nice to you

pm me i can give you a hand with your bait situation

20. gweber

gweber New Member

tank3544 - I will PM you later about the bait, thanks for being open to helping. Yes, it was the guy in the orange fishing waders. I now know not to even think about approaching him at this point.

I'm going out with my guide friend today, fishing the last of the incoming tide in the late afternoon and the outgoing tide through the evening. Probably will fish at least until midnight.