Blue catfish on a full moon

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by kenlaw76, Jan 6, 2009.

1. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I am fishing for Blues this weekend and was wondering if the bite is differant on a full moon. I know that the tides will be a little more extream, but other than that is it a factor on the bite?

2. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    From my experience the catfish bite is much better bite on the new moon phase which for some reason is exactly opposite of bass and bream which seem to bed(and usually bite) closer to full moon

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Only one way to find out Ken is to get out there.
    Let me ask you this: If I said they don't bite as good, would you stay home?

No, neither would I:wink:...W

4. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Better when its dark at least if your fishing close to the surface at least so it seems to me !

5. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    For me , where I fish, the Blue bite is alittle off during the Full Moon phase. You still will get some fish. In general the bite is off usually during this time period. I prefer the New moon Phase.

6. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I would say never, never, never, ever plan a fishing trip around a moon phase. If you can go, then go. I just laugh when I hear people say they won't even fish on a full moon or they've never caught fish on a full moon. You certainly won't catch anything if you don't go and I've had some great nights and days catfishing on a moon so full it's like the middle of the day. Me and a buddy of mine had our best flathead trip ever on a dead full moon, 11 flatheads in 5hrs....but yeah they won't bite on a full moon. We had our best night on the river flathead fishing on a full moon. I know you're asking about blues but just go fishing and forget what the moon is doing. You're right the tides will be a little more extreme but that's not a huge deal other than it may do some funky stuff in between tides. I never know what the moon is doing until I get on the water, I'm not about to let something like a big chunk of rock spinning around us tell me when to go fishin':smile2: Let us know how it goes, you've been getting some nice ones blues in that tidal water...that stuff is awesome isn't it?

7. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    well I definetley have some things to add to this one. I have watched several different bluecat fishing videos and 2 specific ones were shot on a FULL MOON NIGHT! One was called "Drifting for blues on Santee Cooper". The other one was a flathead video that co-hosted with doug stange. On the videos they not only mentioned that they prefered to fish on full moon nights and showed the full moon, but hammered the fish. I actually got both of these videos christmas of 2007. In Sept. of 2007 me and my buddy had the best fishing trip we have ever had and we will be lucky to ever have another one like it to the day we die!! very slow current in the Ohio river and found fish in 50 feet of water. We caught 29 fish all together that night. 27 blues and 2 smaller channels. We actually had to stop because we ran out of bait. By the way these fish were caught on Mooneyes. Here is a few fictures from that evening. In some of the pics you can actually see the full moon! This is atleast proof that they will bite on a full moon night.

Attached Files:

8. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    alright you will have to trust me, this was a full moon night. I posted the pics with the full moon in the background in another thread and for some reason it saids it wont post the same pic twice!!

Attached Files:

9. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele

I adhere to that same philosophy. Get out and fish. I caught some of my biggest cats during that time, limits, and no limits. Same as if in any phase I guess. Planning a trip around the moon takes some of the fun out of it.

10. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I go fishing whenever. It is just that this will be my third time fishing for Blues and I am going to be fishing in a tourny. on Sat. and it is going to be a full moon. I just wanted to know if I will have to change my stratagie. Thank's for your input guys.

11. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Try running some lines deep and near the surface . Saw a post that said 50 ft of water wondering how deep they were running there lines . Let us know how you did good luck .

12. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Even though I catch more fish during new moon my statement was not intended to mean I never catch any during full moon nor would I not go because it would be full moon(many days fishing during full moon has led me to my conclusion that where I fish a new moon is generally better-LOL). ALso I never fish at night so any fishing at night during the full moon could explain lack of bites during the day if they really turn on then. Good luck in that tournament and let us know how you do.

13. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    My track record shows lower catches on the full moon but that means nothing . I would just think of it as another day....but full moons I try to night fish , because of baitfish behavior. Try moving and change up till you find what they want , you know the deal....put the pieces of the puzzle together and go get em. Best of luck to ya.

-Jim-

PS , I would much more worry about pressure and current front situation , even cloud cover on the full moon will affect the bait...but that's just my opinion ; )

14. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have a calendar I buy each year from the Virginia Fish & Game Commision. It ranks each day as poor, fair, good, and excellent. Last Sat and Sun were marked excellent. I fished Sunday in howling wind terrible conditions including the "full Moon". Loaded the boat with whoppers. Three fifty pounders and six around twenty pounds. Nice day to be suffering on the water.:smile2:

15. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    That is remarkable fishing right there.