Blue catfish - New Slot Limits on 3 Texas Lakes!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by GMC FishHauler, Feb 21, 2009.

Do you support this law?

1. Yes, but would like to see it MORE constricting.

2. Yes, but think that it is too harsh.

3. Yes, as is.

4. No.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
  2. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I guess I will start off since I have been following this for a few days.
    I fully support this plan of action. I believe that this is a good start for the conservation of catfishing in Texas.
    I do not like introducing new laws, but this one is needed.
    Lake Waco is my home lake. It is a smaller lake (7500 acres) but has GREAT gizzard shad and alot of good structure. There are 2 rivers that feed the lake and it is really not that bad on fluxuating water levels. I said that the lake has great gizzard shad, the shad are so plentiful that TP&W are considering introducing hybrid stripers into the lake to knock their numbers back.
    Now for my concerns with the lake and why i feel that it needs this law. The lake record last time i checked was 34lbs and some change. Blue cats were stocked as far back as 1970, why are there not any bigger fish than this? there is great shad (food), lots of timber rocks and weeds (cover), but alot of fishing pressure. This lake is totally within the city limits of Waco. Waco is not a metroplis but there quite a few folks who live there. I believe that if all of these fish in the target range (30-45") go back into the water, there will be a huge increase in the size of the average fish caught at lake waco in the next 5-10yrs.
    As far as eating size fish is concerned, this law will help that too. Since female blue cats lay about 10% of their body weights in eggs every year, the bigger cats will lay more eggs, more babies survive, with better genetics.
    I think this is win-win. I am glad that they are trying it out in a few bodies of water before taking it statewide. This might show how hard it will be for the wardens to enforce and how effective this law will be.

Thanks for ya'lls responses in advance.

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I agree 1000%.

A slot on cats...whooda thunk it???

4. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I actually wrote something to that effect to the TP&W about 18 months ago. I only mentioned Lake Waco in my letter and gave stats out of my fishing log on it compared to a lake that is 30 miles away. The one 30 miles away averaged TWICE the size of lake waco fish. The only real diff i saw between the lakes was the ammount of fishing pressure.
    I hope some of the folks from TN chime in cuz i wanna know what they think of their slot limits.

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Sounds to me like they need to harvest more fish out of the lake. And shoot the one that thinks of putting in striper's.
    This is just me, But guessing you can catch lots of small fish? Say 1 to 5 lbs? If so sounds like your lake is over stocked with small fish. A body of water will only hold so many fish. Be that big fish or small fish. If its full of eating size fish that no one is taking out, There going to be taking away from how many big fish can be in there also.
    As for way to many shad. That tells me theres lots of fish that can't eat the big ones. But if there were lots of big ones eating the shad your balance would be better.
    Lots of lakes are in bad shape from stocking of striper's. Now here on the Tn river ours are spawning so they are taking over .
    I think if they look at the big picture and allow more small fish to be taken out you may see a rise in big fish and also help out on the shad issue. We have some lakes that are only 5000 acres in size and have shad in them. They have big blues in them. And the shad are not gaining on everything. But they get fished hard also for small fish.
    Pete

6. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Shiloh,
    Thanks for the reply.
    Lake Waco is the only one of those three that I have any experience on. That lake DOES have an abundance of bigger gizzard shad in some spots. There are some bigger blues in that lake and it seems that i have caught 90% of the 20lb+ fish within 100yrds of the best cast netting spot for these shad. As far as the over population of smaller fish goes, your half right. There is alot of smaller cats from the yr before last's spawn. there was a ton of new structure and the lake was 10'+ high thru out the spawn. You can catch alot of 1-2lb fish if you fish the right spots. But it is not nearly as good as the other lakes that are within driving distance. The simple fact of the matter is that the entire lake is within city limits. there is an abundace of bank fishing spots. and alot of people fish there cuz the fish taste good from that lake. The current limit is 25 blues/channels per day. I know that lake very very well and have a hard time producing those kinds of numbers. I would say it would take me 10hrs to get myself and a friend on 50 one pound channels. As far as blues go, I can go out and catch 10 blues in about 4 hrs on most days. With the exception of the winter where I can get on a hole and wear them out. That is also the problem with this lake is that it is pretty shallow over most of it. Very few spots over 40' and one of the best holes is within casting distance from a good sandy beach.
    I think that this new law will really help this one lake become a better fishery. I hope that it helps the better fish stay in the water.

7. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I think I would support this law. I would like to see it put on other lakes like Tawakoni. According to TPW this is a trial run to see how it works out, I will have a better idea on how well I like the law after the trial. On Tawakoni, a person can catch a ton of 1 to 5 lb fish, or a lot of 30+ pound fish. I personally keep many fish in the spring and summer from 1 to 5 pounds, anything bigger than that I throw back. I havent kept a fish since October of '08, and have fished 2 to 3 days a week since then. Come spring, I will start keeping the smaller ones. The one thing that drives me crazy on Tawakoni is to watch some of the guides come in with 10 fish over 20 pounds and up to 60 pounds and put the knife to them. One of the guides is a good friend of mine and he has just recently started making customers throw the big ones back. But he has cleaned many, many of these big fish over the years. If we had the slot in place, he would not have been able to do that.

8. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    By the way James, TPW is having local meetings throughout the state discussing the new law changes and getting peoples thoughts on the subject. I will be attending my local meeting on March 3 to try to get them to include Tawakoni. I know there is one in the Waco area I just dont know the date of it.

9. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Cathog,
    Thanks for the reply,
    I am curious to see how well they can enforce this law before I want them to make it statewide. I am sure that it would REALLY help the lakes that already have trophy fish in their waters.
    On the meeting in Waco, I will not be able to attend. BUT I am spreading the word as much as I can. I am trying to get my wife to go in my place, but we'll see.

10. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i agree with only one over, say 30 or 35, but do not like a slot. the very large fish are not real good eating so there is no need to take them. i do think that the biologist that works mainly with each lake should make the decision based on facts and not just what others think. the facts about each lake are all to often overlooked in setting the limits on all fishing.

11. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Good point. The size limit MIGHT be better if only one fish over 30" allowed per day. On the downside of that, lots more folks catch 20lbers (around 30") than they do the real monsters like 60lbers (45")
    I do agree that customizing the slot per body of water would be the best for the fishery. But it would be very confusing for folks fishing. Like i said before I would like to see how this really works while in "trial" mode.
    I would love to take the biologist out fishing on lake waco to show him some stuff. I personally believe that the 25 fish limit on that lake is too much. 10 or 15 would be more reasonable.
    I hope that the game wardens start working these lakes more since they are kind of in the spotlight now.

12. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I agree 110%. I've seen alot of fish on the banks or rocks that people don't want. They always want the biger & most fish without as much as giving others a chance. I heard of someone who caught a fish that would soon die & was an illegal to keep. So he asked the CO for permission to keep the fish. Now, that's sportsmanship.

13. iviecatman

iviecatman New Member

State:
    texas
    If a lake starts dropping off in fish numbers I totally agree with reducing the daily limit or even a slot. The vast majority of people who fish for catfish are not guides or tournament fisherman. I am certainly not against these two groups of anglers. I understand that guides feel the pressure of putting the clients on big big and the tournament fishermen want to have the big fish on their stringers at weigh in. Their views on fishing is totally different from those who enjoy recreational angling and those who love to eat catfish on a regular basis. Don't get me wrong, I am all for regualtions but I prefer those that will not punish those who catch what is for them a fish of a lifetime only to have to release what would be several meals for their family. Catching catfish with rod and reel, trotline or jugs is addicting. We need to understand that all these methods are something to be passionate about and respect one another. The time will come that hunting and fishing will be declared illegal if we are not careful.

14. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I am not a guide, I do tournament fish but never on any of these lakes. This regulation will not help at all with the numbers of fish in a lake initially. It will just help with average size. It will do this over time and might help with the numbers of blue cats as well due to more eggs being laid.
    This is not the type of regulation that some lakes need. OH Ivie for one does not need this regulation as far as I can tell. I personally have never caught a big cat on Ivie, but I have only fished it a few times and I was impressed every time i go on that lake. Plus Ivie does not have nearly the fishing pressure as the more urban lakes do. I have been on Ivie during the spring, and have seen 4-5 boats all weekend. I have been on there during the winter and had that HUGE lake all to myself.
    Lake Waco NEEDS this reg. There is a ton of fishing pressure on this lake, with almost 0 catch and release going on. I do not push CPR on folks, but am really PO'd when i see someone abusing the lake. I do not say anything because it is legal for someone to keep 25 cats over 12" under our current law. If that law is changed to force people to release the cats in the slot range, then I will do my best to help stop the violations.
    The simple fact of the matter is that alot of fishermen were not self regulating, so the State had to step in.

15. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    My local lake had an abundance of shad in in. The state, in all their wisdom, stocked it with saugeye. Now I'm lucky if I can get one shad to catfish with. Wishs there was a bounty on those darn saugeye. That is the only possilbe way to thin them out.

16. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Yeah, I do not agree with the stocking of hybrids to reduce the shad. I think that it is hard to have "too much" shad since they are a forage fish for almost 100% if the predators in a body of water.

17. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    wow, the poll has gotten alot of hits. I am suprised that so many folks are looking at this thread.
    I really do hope that they reconsider the hybrid bass stocking but my buddy tells me that is the talk around town.

18. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    On the lakes I fish,I am not sure it would do anything. Tawakoni produces so many blues,it's crazy. I would likt o see a minimum limit raised here. Like minimum 24". Then a slot of 24-42". Everything else fair game.

19. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    For years the bass and stripper fisherman got most of the help in terms of dollars and support from Texas Parks and Wildlife. This was because most of the people fished for these species and and in turn returned more bucks back to the state in the form of taxes for the Pittman-Robertson fund which in part helps fund fishing and wildlife programs by TP&W. Regulation for catfish has to come as more folks fish for them now. I just hope the cat fisherman gets a fair shake out of the TP&W funds to sustain our fisheries around the state. TP&W has not done a stellar job of protecting our inland waters. We now have species of fish in our rivers and lakes that should not be there. The tilapia is a prime example. This fish has spread to many bodies of water and so far the only thing being done is a law by TP&W to gut the fish if you catch one. I hope this new slot limit for catfish is studied in depth and not just made a blanket law after this year. This would not be good for all the lakes and rivers. Each needs to be separately studied. Catfishjon

20. dvkb

dvkb New Member

State:
    texas
    i beleave that is a good law will help more fish be grown :)