Blue Catfish - New Limits in Missouri

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by timpndr20, Feb 4, 2006.

1. timpndr20

timpndr20 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I would like to get some of your input on the new posession limit of 5 blue cats on Mo. waters.I fish the lower LOZ,and personally think that the LOZ is over populated with blues.When on almost every trip I get bit before the first bait hit's the bottom on each drift that makes me think the lake is over populated.:crying: What do you guys think?

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I tend to think that someone doesn't think they are over populated at all. Why else do you think they would do that? I for one am glad they did something to slow people down a little on taking every fish they catch, something needed to be done.
    I tend to think that most people take home all of the fish they catch simpley because they can. If they are stocking a freezer full of fish for consumption throughout the year they will wind up throwing most of it away because of how fast fish will freezer burn(6 to 8 weeks if vacuum sealed). That spells waste to me and waste is not a good thing at all.
    I have yet to see where anyone has pitched a fit over limits on other GAME FISH!!! why is that? Well most people see the catfish as a lower lifeform than a bass. That couldn't be more wrong IMO.Blues and Flatheads are at the top of the food chain in any waterway that they reside, thus earning my respect and admiration!!!

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn

Boy I'm glad my VAcum sealer does a better job then yours. I have fish in the freezer that is from last summer and still taste fresh.

Pete

4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I find the new limits a little confusing when you consider that the MDC's stated goal is to produce a "bigger" blue cat fishery in Missouri with more trophy-class blues available to anglers.

It's not clear to me how taking *fewer* fish is going to result in bigger fish, unless the MDC thinks that they're being over-harvested and that taking fewer fish will allow those that remain a better chance at getting huge.

As I mentioned in another thread, I firmly believe that most guys who run trotlines already routinely ignore the 10 fish limit, and thus have little hope that they'll abide by the 5 fish limit. Maybe a few high-profile busts will change their mind, I dunno. But I *do* know some folks right now who are taking their full limit of blues from trotlines day after day to stock up for an upcoming fund raising fish fry...

In any case, I trust that those "in the know" at the conservation department have put this limit in place for a non-polititcal reason. I think they've done a good job up to this point in managing game fish in Missouri, so I'm willing to play along and see how it works out.

5. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The new rule was made because the MDC is trying to grow more trophy class fish and they are doing studies on age class and growth rates in selected lakes and rivers.Basically the thought is that the channell cats are the meat and potatoes fish and the blue catfish and flathead catfish are going to be managed to grow to their trophy potential.The limit on blues came about in part because there was a survey put out and alot of catfish anglers stated that was what they wanted.With the new information age now more and more catfish anglers are chasin trophy class fish and do not be suprised to see some areas desinated trophy class waters with special regulations put in place to help keep the potential there to be able to catch big blues and flatheads. How many places in the United States have you seen desinated trophy class waters for catfish?Missouri will be one of the first if I am correct. They are trying to head off what has happened in other areas when overfishing has decimated big catfish populations. The limit change will put the hurt on setliners and others that chase blues because I know of areas on the Missouri River they are takin several hundred pounds of blue and flats out a week from lines in the water and a small group is doing it. The group is so hardcore that they have built bait ponds set up with automatic nets to get bait and these guys run 25 to 50 miles on the river on a daily basis 365 days a year.

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Sounds to me like someone needs to make a phone call and tip off the DNR in this case, Brother!!!

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I'm all for the new limits. If I'm not mistaken Tennessee was the first state to make blue cats a trouphy fish.

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Quote:
    The limit change will put the hurt on setliners and others that chase blues because I know of areas on the Missouri River they are takin several hundred pounds of blue and flats out a week from lines in the water and a small group is doing it. The group is so hardcore that they have built bait ponds set up with automatic nets to get bait and these guys run 25 to 50 miles on the river on a daily basis 365 days a year.

Sounds to me like someone needs to make a phone call and tip off the DNR in this case, Brother!!!

I was thinking the same thing! Man they need to tighten up on the law here in NC, I dont think we need a 5 limit for blue's....well at least where I fish....but there should be alot more limits than they have for them right now. Definitely should have some rules for the size of the fish. The Cat's are getting more popular now. One problem I think we have around here is the trotlines, jugs, etc. Some of the guys that run those things around here keep ALOT of cats as well as other types of fish. They need to tighten up on the rules for them. There's a small river I fish sometimes that has had it's channel cat population decreased big time by these trotlines, nets, etc. I know and have some friends that do that trotline stuff. But they keep up with theirs very well and usually dont keep too many, so I guess it's ok if done responsibly, but fact is theres alot that dont do it responsibly and are damaging the fish population.

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Sorry Pete It was a typo, I ment if it was not vacuum sealed. If it is it will last up to a year. OOOOOPs!!!

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky

This is why we as sportsmen have to take it upon ourselves to practice CPR!!! It is because a certain amount of low-lifes will ignore the law and do as they want no matter what! This kind of activity has got to be haulted or our grandchildren may not have the chance to catch that fish of a lifetime.

11. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri

JW...You type just like Mellon...LOL:rolleyes:

12. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Well I guess I deserved that one, LMAO!!! OUCH!!!

13. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The MDC has been told all the details but until you can get a judge to take a stand on it its not a very big fine if they do bust them.Don't give up hope as the key people have been put in the loop and it takes time to build a good airtight case and in Missouri most Wardens have alot of area to cover on land and water and it's usually one Game Warden per county and sometimes not even that.The Catfish Management Plan is a 5 year deal and we are just gettin started with it,any changes take a while to put in place and they have to educate the general public on how to tell the difference between the 2 and there is alot of educatin to do. Only people really into catfishing and study them will be able to tell a big male channell from a blue in some color phases at times, I run into that all the time and it takes a little convincen to change their minds on what they caught.

14. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    yea the mo river will be a problem, i have only seen a mdc officer twice on the mo river ,so it will be hard to bust people taking out hundreds of pound of fish

15. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    I would like to see them implement the big fish limit they have talked about. I don't think the lake is "overpopulated" with Blues. There are a lot of fish but not as many as years past. The really large fish are getting overharvested by trotlines. I agree on CPR time for us to manage our own fisherie. I'm glad to see I'm not alone on practicing CPR no fish over twenty will be kept on my boat and myself personally none over ten.

16. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I asked about the rationale behind the new catfish limit on the MDC web site's "contact us" page and got an *excellent* response from a MDC "Resource Scientist" named Kevin Sullivan in Clinton:

I'm still left thinking that trotlines are the biggest detriment to catfish populations, especially considering the lack of enforcement personnel on the water most of the time. I think someone else here said it already, but it looks like the only way to really get anything done if you know of someone violating the rules is to drop a dime and call Operation Game Thief...

17. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    T, thanks for going to the website,I tried to REP you but I have to spread it around.CONGRATULATIONS to all MO catfish anglers.I am eaten up with jealously.You have a progressive state which has made catfish gamefish and enacted regulations and limits.TENN also.Those of us that are watching the trophy fishery that was Santee be destroyed, can only wish fervently that some of that enlightenment would blow east.Thank GOD that the mercury advisory and the guides and fishermen on the James are doing their best to protect that fishery.It is always a good idea to talk to the biologists in charge of the program to get an accurate picture of what they are trying to do.That way we as sportsman can better assist them with their objective and plan.There will always be some people that won't obey the laws,thats a given but one thing we can do as sportsman is keep up a barrage of reports and complaints to the enforcement agency and after a while they will understand we are trying to help them help us all .NEVER underestimate the POWER of one determined individual.:) Again; WAY TO GO MO!!!!!!!!!:)

18. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Well Jim if ya feel that way, I think there are a few good lots left on Lake of the Ozarks. You could buy and move here when you retire...LOL....hey, thats a good idea actually because thats what I did. Lake of the Ozarks and Truman Lake are right here together...both I believe hold world record cats.;)

19. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    thats right ron ,take a pic and throw him back for someone to catch later.if people keep harvesting the hogs the children and grandkids will never see the big ones,I myself do not have kids ,but many neices and nephews i always stress to them to release any cats over 5lbs .

Glad to see you back ron ,Hows the health?

20. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    i really like the new limit me and my buddy put a call in to the mdc fisheries bioligst last summer about the blues because where we was fishen was getting trotlined pretty hard and they was keeping some really big fish and as the summer went on you could notice the diffrence in fishen now if we could just get a slot limit and keep the trophys in the water thats what we are working on now