Blue catfish look different ???

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by thomas feldon, Oct 25, 2007.

1. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    Not trying to seem dumb.
    But are there different Blue's ?
    I've been hearing there are mississippi blue cat's and Arkansas Blue's. I even heard of a Kansas blue cat!
    I see in the picture's everyone post's of blue's, there are some differences.
    Lake blue's seem to be " pot bellied , sleak and bright colored ". This is understandable for lack of swift current as in a river.
    River blue's ( for the most part ) Are long and duller ( muddy ) colored ,at least out of the Missip and ST. Francis river's.
    The only reason I ask is because I caught both out of the Mississipi river that are " pot bellied , sleak and bright colored / - long and dull colored ( muddy )but you know that they are deffinetly blue's because of their grab and run like hell feeding.
    OH ! yes I do know the difference between channel's and blue's.
    Just wondering if ya'll hard some hard fact's? Thank's

2. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I beleive the different coloring all has to do with the water. The blues out of the Miss. tend to be lighter colored than blues that come out of lakes with clear water.

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Nope there's only one blue cat. Now there are different colors like already mentioned. Now as far as pop bellied or sleek looking that probably has to do with how much there eating. The spawn will also change there colors some. Just like channel cats look like blues in the spawn.

4. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    The coloring and body structure May have something to do with the water, diet, or perhaps genetics. I would tend to lean toward genetics.

check out these blues all caught on the same river system. all different colors and body types.

also be sure to look at the water in the last pic ans notice how light the fish is and how muddy the water is.

post #285
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41149&page=29

5. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    One Blue cat is the deal / just amount of sun that gett's to them . DUH!:tounge_out:
    Sometime's I need a little help !:wink:

6. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    Sorry I can't spell so well !
    I need a good slap aside the head to wake me up !:eek:oooh:
    Only when it come's to fish'in !
    Thank's again guy's !