Blue catfish - Live bait or cut bait

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by foodsaver, Apr 25, 2006.

1. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Do you guys prefer live bait (threadfin shad) or cut bait (skipjacks) for big blues?

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I try and use fresh cut bait. Sometimes I don't have time to go get it before I go fishing. So i have to settle for what is in the freezer.

3. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Cutbait has been successful to me. I always catch mine fresh, and I change often if I have an abundance of bait.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    For blues, I like fresh cut shad or skipjack; frozen skipjack is almost as good.

5. claycntyjoe

claycntyjoe New Member

State:
    Northern Kentucky

Same here. I also seem to always do better when I catch the shad where I am fishing or really close by. I bankfish exclusively in the river so I will usually take a small ziplock with skipjack or some small bluegills 2-3 inches long from a nearby pond and my cast net. I get there about 2-3 hrs before dark and start throwing my net. if I don't have twenty five shad in the first 1/2 hour I pack up and go down the road to my favorite backwater. Because I have figured out after 15 years of fishing this strecth that if the shad are not there neither are the blues and flats. The backwater area is always good for a couple of hours of 3-10 lb channel cat action and there is a small creek I can use a seine in by myself.

6. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Mix it up I've been findin out lately that sometimes it seems like blues and channels both would rather eat a live bait than cut sometimes this has been happening to me alot lately.On my local lake I've been throwing out live bluegill or white perch for flatheads and cut bait for channels and the channels have been taking the live before they've taken the cut.So you never know what they may want.

7. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Mix it up I've been findin out lately that sometimes it seems like blues and channels both would rather eat a live bait than cut sometimes this has been happening to me alot lately.On my local lake I've been throwing out live bluegill or white perch for flatheads and cut bait for channels and the channels have been taking the live before they've taken the cut.So you never know what they may want.

8. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    Fresh Cut Number 1but Their Time When I Don't Have Time To To Catch Bait.my Best Bait Skipjack.

9. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    if you've got both and have a rod holder or 2... try one of each and see what the fish prefer... there's no point in having the bait and then not using it...

10. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    "FRESH" cut bait all the way for me. Whether it's shad or bluegill!

11. bud_rabon

bud_rabon New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Fresh cut all the way unless fishing right at the damn

12. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    Catmankev,I been looking for you.

13. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    It dont matter how hard I try, I cant keep shad alive. Ill use em whole and cut though.

By far we catch more blues on shad over perch(but also fish much more often with shad), but my bigger fish come from live bait.

This one was caught a few days ago on a live perch
    http://img320.imageshack.us/my.php?image=catfish15qh.jpg

14. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I'll have to agree that cut bait usually produces the best results for Blues. Last summer I fished Shad and Skipjack side by side for a few weeks to which they preferred. The results were surprising to me. Some days they wanted the skipjack and some days the wanted the shad. Then there were the rare days that they would hit either one with savage strikes. I haven't used any cut bream so I can't comment on how well they do.

15. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    If its the BIG Blues your after, Fresh Cut Bait is the only way I'll go. The smaller blues will readily eat live Threadfin and Gizzard Shads. Flatheads seem to prefer live baits as well. I've grown somewhat bored with catching lots of smaller fish, so I spend 99 percent of my time going for the pigs. On my area of the Mississippi River I use very large cut baits most of the time. I havnt noticed any correlation to a preferred bait on the stretch of river I fish. If I had to pick a bait, It would be large filets of the Big Head Carp that jump behind the dykes. They seem to work best for me. As well, I like to use the largest Gizzard Shad I can get my hands on for cut bait, but they dont seem to do as well as the Asians. As with any bait, presentation is critical.

16. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    cut bait is what i use for the blues

17. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    The only blue cat that I have caught was on cut bluegil, the cat was just over 8lbs on a bank line. I hope to catch a couple of blues this year.

Aaron

TA2D

18. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    fresh cut shad or skipjack for me.

19. kyblue49

kyblue49 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    ive always heard the bigger the bait the bigger the fish. if you want numbers i would use cut bait ,whichever is easier to get shad or skipjacks.if you want big fish use big bait . i believe the state record blue here in ky was caught on a whole skipjack.

20. j.klein

j.klein New Member

State:
    missouri
    TRY TO KEEP THEM ALIVE OR SIMPLY FRESH, BUT FISH THE CUT ITS ALWAYS BETTER FOR THE BIG ONES, LIL BAIT SNATCHERS AND FIDDLERS LOVE LIVE ESPECIALLY WHEN THE RIVERS UP, BUT FOR THE BIG ONES THEY ARE TO BIG And fat to really seek to put in alot of effort, theyd prefer it right there on the bottom fresh with now chase for it, hence fresh cut works best, if your shads older than 36 hours uncut, only use it for eating size channels not big blues, never cut the bait until your about to use it, it causes the essential fish oils to leak out and weaken, also descale them and puncture your chunks, even cuting them up to create action on them...thats my expierience