Blue Catfish Lakes

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by kmcalester, Dec 15, 2008.

1. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Outside of LOZ and Truman, what lakes in Missouri have a high balance of Blue Catfish?

2. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Stockton has a lot of fish, it's probably one of those best kept secerets, the catfishermen that call that lake home don't have alot to say about it if you know what I mean, my wife and I have caught some very nice blues on that lake

3. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Sounds like that's the place to be, Stockton...

4. jms43

jms43 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you ever want to come down and fish let me know. I should have a boat up and going by late spring. If not I know some places we can almost always catch a mess of channels and a few blues from the bank.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Good info, thanks for the post

6. jlcperformance

jlcperformance New Member

State:
    moberly, missouri
    mark twain has a decent population of blues too.

7. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Jeff I have a friend that keeps trying to get me up that way.

8. jlcperformance

State:
    moberly, missouri
    its pretty good fishing, a really good sized lake with about any kind of cover you could think of too fish....i wish i knew all the secret hole all the ol'timers know about. but u have a very good chance of pulling a 40-50 lb fish out of there

9. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Where is Mark Twain located?

10. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Mark Twain is east of Moberly about 30 to 45 miles. Fished it for bass and crappie years back. But never for cats. Have to give it a try this summer. They have nice camp grounds also.

Tom

11. jms43

jms43 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey tom, you feeling better yet? How's your son Adam doing? I took him to Caplinger mills once to get bait when he was still living in springfield.

12. jlcperformance

State:
    moberly, missouri
    id say your looking at about a 3 hour drive from kansas city at least, but all you do is get on highway 24 and it will take you right to mark twain lake in one shot so it wont be hard to find.

13. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Thanks for the info.

14. Phoneman53

Phoneman53 New Member

State:
    Olivet, Kansas,
    About 1993 to 1998 I kept a pontoon boat at Orleans Trail Marina and scuba dived stockton about 2 weekends a month from May to October,,,,I saw some blues and flatheads that made me nervous to be in their enviroment...blues would follow us around just out of view but you could see their outline...any where there is chunk rock ledges where I saw most of them.....

15. jms43

jms43 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That doesn't surprise me. I'd love to be able to find some of those. What area of the lake were you scuba diving in?

16. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I wish there was a camara that worked down that deep, that way we could see them.

17. STICKBENDER

STICKBENDER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I hate to break your guys bubble but Mark TWAIN is a poor blue cat lake. I live here and you will catch 100 channels and 50 flats for every blue. Dont take my word for it call Mo. CONSERVATION, They shocked for 2-3 days and blues are at a minimum, the reproduction rate is near 0, They quoted to me they shocked more blues in 2 coves at Truman than they did in 2 days at Mark Twain.. That said it is a great Flathead lake.

Just my info, I know you can catch them but there are a lot better Blue cat lakes.

18. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Bob

Thanks for that info, where did you catch that one in your avitar?

19. STICKBENDER

STICKBENDER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Below Truman, guys dont get me wrong you can catch Blues in Mark Twain but they are not there like they were when lake first opened. Most of the big fish were fished out by trotliners and MO. Conservation isnt going to stock if they don't see a significant reproduction rate.

20. Catfish Levi

Catfish Levi Member

State:
    chillicothe, mo
    does anybody fish pony express?? i heard its got some nice blues in it when my truck gets out of the tranny shop im thinking bout heading over there