Blue catfish known as nomadic

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by onlyriverfish, Sep 4, 2006.

1. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Is there any definitive tracking studies that would be conclusive for big river blues and thier range during a season and lifetime?

Are they known to reoccupy same territories?

Are they nomadic constantly or just within a range?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

From what little I know about blues they have a big range and really are bound to a spot when breeding. As for the rest of the year I have been told they travel and can travel a great distance when searching for meals. As for the truth in that I can't say but that is what I have been told.

3. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    I only can fish lakes pretty much here in texas. They seem to hold pretty tight to cover in lakes and knot travel to far except during the spawn.

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The best advice I have ever received about Blues and their travels is to regard them exactly like stripers.They will roam throughout their habitat regardless river or lake and primarily orient on bait.That is horizontaly,vertically they move up and down depth wise as most fish do seeking their comfort level.So in a given body of water consider the Blues to be nomadic in their search for bait and comfort level.If the bait is piled up on humps at say 18-22ft which coincides with the best temp/oxy combo then you can bet blues will be there.If the combination changes and the bait is now all in deep water concentrated 50 miles away then blues will move with it.They are not stay at home fish per se and will travel just like strippers.That is why the full range of seasonal knowledge as to where bait and water temps will provide the optimum opprtunity is so important.:smile2:

5. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    jim that is the best advice find the bate you will find blues

6. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Ablue cat ain't nuthin' but a striper with whiskers, pretty much. When I go striper fishin' I usually catch blues mixed in with stripers.

7. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Interesting Jim,
    Definitly thought provoking!
    Wonder about a couple of things.
    1.) Baitfish-Usually when I am stumped and not getting bit in the many places fished I see bait fish are plenty-EVERYWHERE! But problem might be that "baitfish" type that they are feeding on are other than what I am seeing. Then a better understanding of different baitfish, where they are at, how to distinguish with sonar and how to key into that.

At these times (Slow-no bite where Im fishing) I usually see alot of "sturgen?,carp?,Gar?" long slanted or irregular arches sometimes staked up all over.

2.)Seeking Comfort level- helps convince me to look more at specific places like next river bend that has a shallower channel at that depth for instance or maybe the wind direction to current flow on that stretch is what works.
    Can see alot more to learn re your whole post.
    Thanks!

In fact I never rate TYPE OF BAITFISH AND WHERE THOSE BAITFISH ARE KNOWN TO HOLD USUALLY as very high when deciding where to try next and might learn that that is KEY to more success. Why wouldnt it!

8. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    I am very appeciative for that excellent tip jim! I have learned alot just lately doing striper research and very glad you took the time to respond.:smile2: