Blue Catfish jumping outta the water - has it happened to you

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by matt, Feb 17, 2006.

1. matt

matt New Member

State:
    Anderson SC
    have any body hooked a catfish and it jumped out of the water

my blue cat did it was 23 pounds 34 inch long

2. Catwagon

Catwagon New Member

State:
    Justin, TX
    I've had them jump partially out, but never completely out before. That must have been quite a sight!

Steve

3. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I've never seen one come up out of the water to expose any more of itself than its fins and back.

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    That would be a neat site to see

5. matt

matt New Member

State:
    Anderson SC
    here is a pic of the fish if it works right it was an amazing sight to see it do that. It probably wnn't happen again

Attached Files:

6. katfish hunter

katfish hunter New Member

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    I hooked into a real nice blue one night.Before i knew that the fish had my bait I heard a big splash and got a glimpse of half of the body.That was the only time i had a catfish jump out of the water.

7. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Fishing sand flats in the summer it is not uncommon for bluecats to come out of the water when you set the hook on them.I have seen them come clear out at times.

8. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    hmmm interesting have never seen that from a cat. were u fishing a river (current) or still fishing in a lake when it jumped out? Im sure that would have been neat to see would have liked to seen that.

9. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I had a 34 lb Bluecat take off like a striper one night. It hit like a freight train and took off toward the channel and came out of the water twice on that run. It was dark, so all we could see was the shape of a fish coming out of the water. I thought for sure it was a striper. Got it to the boat and it was the bluecat. Something I had never even heard of before then. Very little current that night but enough to hold the boat straight. Full moon too with no clouds at about 2AM. That was fun to say the least.

10. endy317

endy317 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    ive never seen one jump out of water but ive heard of it happening

11. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    Mud flat, full moon and almost 40lbs of mad blue cat that thought it could be a flying fish. Yup they hit the water hard also!

12. KYCATFISHHUNTER

KYCATFISHHUNTER New Member

State:
    NORTHERN KENTUCKY
    I Havent Hade One Do That To Me, But It Would Be Really Cool To See!!

13. tootuff2tame

tootuff2tame New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Nope! Would like to see it though.

14. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I havnt had one do it yet, but my fishing buddy had a 63 pound Blue go airborne on him twice. I saw it personally or I wouldnt have believed it. That fish was 6 feet in the air on the first jump. It was amazing.

15. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    I have never seen one break water but it would be an interesting sight.i have brought one in almost making it ski ontop of the water though.had a huge run and a small fish so i horsed it in

16. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    Steve that had to of been the weakest 8 pound Blue i have ever seen. I had a 20 pound blue roll out of the water, it scared the heck out of me

17. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    I had a channel (he was about 5 lbs) hit my line fishing in about 3 feet of water he musta been hungry he hit that bait shrimp so hard i heard the fire line twang and seen the fish atleast 2 feet in the air... all i had to do was reel the fish in..

18. moe

moe New Member

State:
    nc
    You guys must not have fished the upper Cape Fear in NC. Myself and friends have caught many that performed acrobatics! The two that sticks out in my mind are the big ones,a 41lber and a 47lber. The one that I enjoyed catching most was a 41 lber and he actually jumed 6 ft. out of the water and sounded like an elephant when he came back down. I don't know what it is about the Cape Fear that makes them jump so much. I think they may be hitting the bait with such speed that they just run out of water and go airborn. They fight twice as hard as a James River blue. Good fishing.

moe

19. Wally_jr

Wally_jr New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    man i can only wait till my baby blue decides to start jumping for me.... here kitty kitty!

20. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    That sounds like it would really give ya a thrill!....lol Welcome to the site Moe.:)

I have never had any jump put of the water on me just had them come up and smack their tails and stuff. I know it would be cool to see one jump out though!

Zakk:)