Blue catfish in Wabash River ?

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by kyron4, Dec 28, 2006.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Are there any Blue cats in the Wabash river (Wabash/Miami county area) or in the Mississiseniwa or Salomonie Res. ? I've been told the blues range ends in southern Ind. and also been told Blues can be found in the Wabsh River. -Thanks

2. dusky

dusky Member

State:
    indiana
    I caught one out of there once. It was close to the Illinois border. The Wabash flows into the Ohio, which has a fair population of blue catfish. How far up the Wabash they travel, I don't know. They prefer fast current. The place I caught my blue on the wabash was out of the fastest water I seen in a twenty mile stretch.

3. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've seen guys post that they've caught blues out of Mississinewa & Salamonie but I really don't think blues are that far up the Wabash. It's impossible, but highly unlikely. The DNR surveyed Mississinewa this summer and caught 300 channels & no blues.

4. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i fish the terre haute part of the wabash and have only cought 3 blues that were about 8''s long, never herd of anyone catching blues like the ohio produces. we got them flatheads for sure though:wink:

5. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Oops! I need to edit my previous post...I meant to say that it is possible for blues to be up that far, but highly unlikely. Not impossible

6. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    A friend of mine who used to catfish heavily has caught several blues in the low 20lb. range on the Wabash east of Huntington. He would catch a couple each year, always in mid to late May. I also saw a few small blues that were caught down at Salamonie reservoir about 10 yrs or so ago, haven't seen any down there since.

7. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    This one's out vincennes area

Attached Files:

8. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I was talking with the fisheries professor at Ball State the other day (Tuesday night) and they have done some sampling on the Wabash further north here. Doc said over the years they have captured a couple blues in the upper Wabash.

Just thought I would pass that along

9. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    I have fished the Wabash all my life and I have seen one blue cat caught just south of Lafayette. It was 11lbs and was released. My buddy has a picture taken with it. If I can get him to find it I will have it scaned and post it, but that is the only one that I have seen.

10. bluesclues

bluesclues New Member

State:
    Indiana
    There are a lot of blues in the Wabash river, that is what we aim for down here in the central area of the wabash. The best time we have found is late April-June then they seem to die down. We will take any cat home, but we love the blues (bluesclues):0a23:

11. Goebel13

Goebel13 New Member

State:
    evansville indiana
    there are a lot of blues in the Wabash at the mouth and up the roiver of Wabash right at the Ohio. i catch a lot there. My best last year 47 lb. i do not catch as many as i get closer or past New Harmony. i have pics but i need to get them on this site.

12. jsloan

jsloan New Member

State:
    IL
    isthere alot of flatheads in the wabash & where

13. bluesclues

bluesclues New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Im sure there is I have only caught 2 in three years the biggest being 20lbs. in the middle of the day.:0a22: