Blue catfish in the scioto river

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by catcrazed, Dec 25, 2008.

1. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ive got a friend that swears that the scioto river is a great Bluecat river. Is he full of it or is it. Anyone caught any large blues out of there???

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dunno the Scioto at all. Hell, they catch flats out of there all day long from what I have read. But , I know that alot of guys have shown pic.s to thought to be blues on the Muskingum.... From what I have seen, their blue cats are male channel cats! Now the lower Scioto could very well inhabit them. rollo

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think your friend is wrong, I have been fishing the scioto exclusivly for 25 years and never caught a blue cat.

I have seen one caught however, yes 1 in 25 years.

4. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    It could be possible for blues to come up into the Scioto where it meets the Ohio in Portsmouth. I don't really know because I have never been there but if it was deep enough they could be in the mouth. We have two large reservoirs on the Scioto here in the Columbus area that would be good for blues. I wish the Div. of Wildlife would stock them there. Catfishing is'nt taken too seriously up here so I doubt there are any plans in the near to distant future.

5. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    that just so happens to be where he is talking about. He was saying that in the Portsmouth area the blues go up in the scioto river and is a great place to fish in the spring.

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have heard many times Portsmouth and down for the blues. It wouldn't be hard to believe. Wish they would come more east and then north! LOL...rollo

7. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Unless the blues are already in those areas it would be impossible for them to migrate there because the dam below Griggs is too high. It's constructed like a lowhead dam and is about 20 to 30 ft. tall.

8. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I would say that any smaller river that flows into the Ohio will have blues up until the first dam. I have caught a ton of them in the mouth of a river very similar, and especially when the water is up and moving on the Ohio.

9. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It would be cool to have another catfish species in ohio rivers and lakes.I bet Alum,Hoover or Delaware lakes would make a good bluecat lake:big_smile:

10. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    there might be blues in the lower part of the scioto ..but as far as numbers coming out of the scioto i dont think so..im thinking they like deeper water, the scioto is shallow for the most part