Blue catfish in the Monongahela River???

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by BassinWv, May 18, 2009.

1. BassinWv

BassinWv New Member

State:
    WV
    Are there blue cats in the Mon river?

2. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I ran into a guy that said he caught a blue cat in Blue Marsh lake in Berks Co. Pa where the state record flat came from but I think it was a case of mistaken identity another guy that can't tell a channel cat from anything else:smile2:

3. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Well interestingly enough I have a vast collection of Pennsylvania Angler Magazines dating back to the 1930's. In one of the issues from the early 1960's was a brief paragraph stating that Bluecats were stocked in the Yough River which is a trib of the Mon. So in theory if any of those fish took hold there could indeed be Bluecats in the Mon but the fact that no reports of them surface tells me that the pollution from that era may have wiped out that stocking but you never know! :wink: Also the average angler would have a tough time telling a Bluecat from a Channel here in Pa since we have no experience with them!

4. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    there are some but they are few and far between. very few and very far between.

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

They catch blues in the Ohio up to about cincinnati pretty good.Theres nothing to stop them from making their way up through the lock and dam system.Now that the water qualitys improved so much over the years it,s always possible.Before we get them around here,I,d think you would hear about them getting caught more in WV. first.I aint looking for them to get this far in my lifetime,but you never know!:eek:oooh:

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I also carpfisiherman tell me he caught a 33inch "bullhead":wink::eek:oooh: in the Skuke.

You western guys would have a better chance being they are native to the Ohio.

The stocked them in the James and Potomac and they have become great fisheries. Imagine if the state cut down on the trout stocking and stocked 50,000 fingerling blues in the 3 Rivers, Susky, and Delaware River?

7. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    that would be awsome!!! but i don't think the "trout commison" would ever do that. but i guess we can wish.

8. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    Don't forget the Skuke

9. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    it was actually a sportmans club that stocked them in the yough a buddie of mine form work talked to a old timer up there and they stocked the for a fishing contest.. so its possible but chances are slim

10. mikeozo

mikeozo New Member

State:
    PA
    I have yet to see one or even a picture of one.

11. Mr_JEEZ

Mr_JEEZ New Member

State:
    port vue PA
    I caught a small two lb blue cat 2 years ago from the yough river, never saw one in pa other than that one but heard from a friend that someone caught a 20lber in Elizabeth.. probably mistaken identity

12. MonFlatcat

MonFlatcat New Member

State:
    Pa
    IF fish & boat has our support and can obtain the needed funding, blue catfish will exist in all or part of the 3 rivers system at some point in the future. (please see the other thread I started for details) Hopefully not too distant future, with funding being the most significant factor.