Blue catfish in the Kaskaskia River

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Wyocatman, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Do any of my brothers know if there are blue catfish in the lower Kaskaskia river, especially below Carlyle lake ..

THANKS dru

2. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dure,
    I did some jug fishing with a couple of friends last fall on the Kaskaskia River ,in the ariea you are talking about . We had 14 keeper cats 5 of them were blues about 9lbs. was the biggest.
    Good Luck
    Olddriller ( retired ) Going fishing doin't block the ramp.
    Paul

3. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Thanks olddriller. How do you tell the difference between blues and channels? Is it just in their color or is there a better way to tell them apart?

4. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    On the lower fin there will be more rays on the blue.

5. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Thanks patrick. Went fishing this evening at the Carlyle spillway. Beautiful weather as i was wearing shorts. 20 plus people fishing.. Several smaller channels were caught on small pieces of cut shad and shad guts. Good fryin size fish. I tried for a big flathead with an 8 inch shad swimming on 1 rod and a good sized shad head on the other. No takers. Fished for about 2.5 hrs. What a great relief after having shop inventory today.

6. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    I will be heading down there this Saturday to do some Catfishing. I have never really had any luck with shad in that area, so I normally use worms. You catch some smaller channels, nice drums, and I pulled in a 9# carp last season down there. But it will be nice just to get out and fish again, I havent been since last fall out there. And when it gets warmer out, I will be heading to the Chain of Rocks, or the lock and dam 26 over in Alton for the bigger cats. I hope to pull in a nice 20# plus catfish this season! But I have pulled some Blues out of the spillway area for the past two seasons.

7. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Thanks Josh. I fished alot there last summer may have seen you there. Hope to see you there again. After last weekends rain, the water level is up to 7000cfps again. Which equals out to almost twice over what they consider to be bank full. It means that youll be sittin in your truck fishing because there are no rocks to sit on

thanks again Dru

8. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Wow thanks for the heads up on the water level!! I have never been down there when there are no rocks to sit on. Hope to see you down there this year. Every place I have been to in the area so far where a bunch of Catfisherman are around, I always ask if they are on the BOC and they just look at me strange. Then I explain to them what it is trying to recruit more to the site, and none of them have ever heard about it.

9. jsloan

jsloan New Member

State:
    IL
    I fish the kaskaskia alot below shelyville , i have boated blue up to 30lbs but more chanels & flats than blues

10. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Thanks John. I guess that means there are blues above Carlyle Lake also.
    Welcome aboard by the way. Where in Illinois do you live? Maybe we can fish together this summer.

Thanks again, Dru

11. bigkittyhunter

bigkittyhunter New Member

State:
    illinois
    Where is this river located, I live in dekalb and it sounds like a good river thats worth trying.

12. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Not sure where it starts but i know that it runs out of Shelbyville down to Carlyle lake and from there i think it wanders to the mississsippi. I'll have to look at a map to be sure.

13. buckie02

buckie02 Member

State:
    Tennessee
    There are good blues and flats below Carlyle all the way to the Mississippi. It is pretty rough above Fayetteville, lots of snags, holes and sandbars. The ramp at Fayetteville can be pretty rough at times from silt and sand washed in.

14. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey guys, i make it to carlyle a few times a year. i've caught blues, and flatheads below the spillway. one time we went. we started fishing with multiple jigs and were catching bighead asian carp. i've never caught so many 30, and 40 pound fish in one day. when we went home every one of my reels had the line stretched to about half the normal size. they're nasty fish, and i was glad to get rid of some of them. but it sure was a fun day catching those ugly bas*#@ds. i have a boat this year. so i'll be spending a lot of time in the flooded timber to the north of the lake.