Blue catfish in the illinois river - anyone ever catch any?

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by barry55, Apr 17, 2006.

1. barry55

barry55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Has anybody ever caught any blues in the illinois river? I have heard of a few caught, but never hooked on to one myself. I live about 4 blocks from the river in Spring Valley. I usually fish anywhere from starved rock to hennepin.

2. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I know down here there have been some little blues caught around Hardin, IL, but thats only about 15 miles upriver from the Mississippi River so I am sure there are some that venture up it but dont know how many or how far.

3. Fishhead1

Fishhead1 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Eric
    They don't go very far up in any kinds of numbers you'd catch often. 10-15 years ago I caught a few in the Peoria area, nothing over 4-5 lbs though.

It's not their kind of river. Not enough flow and depth, plus the dams slow them down.

4. tehrealmccoy

tehrealmccoy New Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    My dad caught a 4 pound one on stinkbait in the Vermillion River just south of Streator near the Manville bridge. Blues must be rare around here, because it was small for a blue cat, but won a fish contest at our local bait shop!

5. Rivercat2

Rivercat2 New Member

State:
    Morton,Illinois
    I live around Pekin and I have cought a few nothing big, biggest about 15lb.

6. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    ok whats with the banners.. is the BOC running ads now:crying:

7. vinny

vinny New Member

State:
    ill.
    shou ld start a new thread on that I think it would go a long way just tring to make some money free adds