Blue catfish in Tar

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by CatSlayer715, Aug 31, 2009.

1. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    I caught about 6 blues in the Tar in greenville. Anyone else been catching them?? I havent been able to find any flatties. Thats what im trying to get a hold of. had 6 blues and 1 channel. the blues were around 6-8 lbs.

2. catfishwillee

catfishwillee Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    where were you fishing?

3. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    Under the 264 bridge by port terminal. Hey, i sent you a pm today.

4. karaep

karaep Member

State:
    Greenville, NC
    Hi David,

NC Wildlife officials sponsored a meeting at River Park North earlier in the year to discuss catfish and bass populations in the Tar River. According to what I understood, the Tar only has Flathead and Channel catfish populations, with the Flats considered a nuisance.

As a side note, I fished long hours almost exclusively on the Tar River last year from the Highway 11 bridge near the airport to below the GUC discharge. I caught numerous channel and flatheads, never catching a blue. They can be difficult to distinguish, maybe you could post pictures.

5. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    Well i thought so too. I thought they could be channels but they were so blue and white and then i caught some that really looked like the text bood channel. Maybe they are channel but they really fooled me. Thats why i made this thread to see if anyone else had caught any blues there.

6. karaep

karaep Member

State:
    Greenville, NC
    Maybe someone else will step up, it's certainly not impossible.

I don't fish the Tar much anymore but please deep us posted on your results. I know there are a few really large flatheads in there. Good luck

7. catfishwillee

catfishwillee Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    there are white catfish in there that have more of a blue cat color than channels do