Blue catfish in Kansas

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Muddy96, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Muddy96

Muddy96 New Member

State:
    Winfield, Ks
    Does anyone know where the nearest water with blues is in relation to Winfield. I think I was told that El Dorado has some, but not sure how many. I would love to get into a couple to start the season alittle early if you know what I mean.....Muddy

2. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    The blues in Eldorado were just stocked and aren't very big yet. I'm not sure where the closest area to there with blues would be.

3. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    I don't know if you'd consider Milford Lake close to you or not, but there's still some pretty good size Blues here. Lot's of eater size though.

4. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    kaw lake down by ponca city has blues in itup at the north end.

5. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    John nailed it, Kaw lake is about a 30 minute drive for you from Winfield. I am trying to get down there one of these weekends very soon.

People think I am crazy, but I remember when I was little, people used to catch Blues out of Winfield. I have a picture of one that was about 50lbs that someone caught out there when I was about 8 or 9 years old. Not sure why nobody catches any out of there these days?:confused2:

6. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    There was a lake just out of Wichita just before you get to Lake Afton that had some real monsters in it back some 30 years ago. Haven't been there since then.

7. leadsinker

leadsinker Member

State:
    Wichita, K
    El Dorado has 'blues', but they are all to short. There is a length limit. Report from 2-18-2007:

No recent reports on blue catfish.

These fish are all below the 35-inch minimum length limit and must be released immediately.

8. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Wish they would implement a policy like that at Milford Lake, plus a limit on how many you can keep in one day that are over 35". We could really have a heck of a Bluecat fisherly here with some "enforced" conservation practices that some folks refuse to practice on their own.

9. FishinRich

FishinRich New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Some of the best snagging below the dam. Check your regs!:lol:

10. Muddy96

Muddy96 New Member

State:
    Winfield, Ks
    My understanding is that the Arkansas river runs into Kaw. With that being said I would think there would be blues in the Arkansas. I was told by a guy who lives here in WInfield that there are actually alot of blues in there down here in the southern portion of the river. That would make sense being that Blues like faster moving clearer water than the other two big cats. Anyone know anything about the catfish in the Arkansas?

11. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    There are a few blues that come up the Arkansas when it is up and running. But most of them don't go that far north of Ark City and then go back down when water goes down. Of course some blues probably make it as far as Wichita and even up the Walnut Rivers. But I think due to the type of rivers they are rare. I've been fishing the Walnut all my life and have never seen a true blue cat come from it. I've had all kinds of people tell me they catch them all the time, but when they show you the fish its just a channel cat. Many local people here really have no idea what a real bluecat looks like.
    ElDorado may be good in later years if people don't keep the blues they catch now. The best place to catch a blue close to Winfield is in Kaw Lake. There is some great bluecat fishing there and there are some trophy blues too. Good Luck.

12. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    I had also heard that they put some blues in cheney. Dont know if this is true or not but I heard it was to try and get rid of some of the white perch.

13. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Calvin, you mention the Walnut River, I grew up in Kansas and have fished the Walnut from the Winfield dam to where Rock creek dumps in a Rock, Ks. Man that is some good fishin and good memories. Jerry, these guys are right Kaw is full of good blues. We spent the day there today, we didn't catch any but at least we got out for a day on the river. Best fishin hole in OKLA. as far as I'm concerned.

Flint.

14. ks_catman

ks_catman New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Milford Res was stocked a long time ago with good blue's

Jason

15. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Milford is probably the only lake in the state that has a really good population of blues. They've stocked them in a few other lakes and I hope some day we'll have them plentiful everywhere. They put a few more in ElDorado this fall. Kaw is hard to beat for blues that are close to SC KS.

16. Carwash

Carwash New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I would guess that Milford Lake outside of Junction City would have the greatest number of blues and the largest fish. The lake was stocked in 1990 and the the largest to date is 56 lbs. If theres been any larger than that caught I'm not aware of it. You can catch all sizes and every year there's a ton of 2 pounders. There growing fast and there's always plenty of shad for them to eat. The largest stringers will come in April, May and June. You can catch them on the drop offs and on the flats in these months. In late June they head for deep water but will sneak up on the flats at night to feed. As for all Blue Cat you will catch more after dark and up to 9:00 am. I personally think that cut shad is the bait. You will catch larger stringers with fresh shad. I started fishing MIlford last week and have caught some large fish but at the present time bait is extremely hard to get. Water is 50 degrees and the lake in almost 4 foot low which will not help the fishing. The lake has great numbers of 25 to 35 pound fish and growing about 5 pounds a year. We will continue to have great fishing at Milford as long as everyone uses there head and release most of the larger fish. I've only been fishing Milford for 4 years and haven't seen any change in the numbers. Hopefully everyone will think about tomorrow. I personally think its the best lake in Kansas for Blue Cat fishing.

17. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Ron, I've been fishing MIlford for Catfish the last 17 years, 31 years total fishing. Up until 4-5 years ago, there were A LOT of big Blues/Channels caught. The last few years there are fewer and fewer BIG Cats of both species being caught, thanks to the few that can't be satisfied with a picture of the BIG ONES, they have to take them home, because "IF THEY DON'T, SOMEONE ELSE WILL" My log will show the decline in my catch rate of big Cats over the last 5 years, nothing like it used to be, 20 to 25 fish a season over 20 lbs, if the lake doesn't freeze, I'll usually fish close to 300 days a year. Milford could be a fantastic fishery if folks would realize what a great resource we'd have. I've seen guy's catch and keep 6 and more Blues over 20lbs in one day, multiply that by 10 and that's where they go. I'd like to see a limit on how many big Catfish could be kept per day. Myself and fishing buddy, we tag and release all Cats over 10lbs. We're satisfied with pictures and movies.

18. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I agree with you on having a limit. I do occasionally keep a big cat but I mainly target eating size fish. I see nothing wrong with keeping big cats that you catch but yes, there needs to be a limit on it. Keeping 6 + fish over 20 lbs in a day is a bit much.

19. Carwash

Carwash New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Jim, I've only been fishing Milford for 4 years so you have many more years on the water there. I agree there should be a limit! I also agree that some people keep to many of the big ones. The guys from Manhattan that I know are turning 99% of the big ones back over 20 lbs. I fish the Madison area and have caught over a 100 each year for the past 4 years between 25 and 56 lbs. I think thats great fishing but don't what the lake was like 5 to 10 years ago. I also catch all sizes and it appears that they have been spawning well. I don't eat fish and take very few pictures and so its not important to me to keep the big ones. I would like to see the big ones continue to grow so one day in the furture we can catch some fish 75 to 80 lbs. I fish the Mississippi a number of times a year outside of New Orleans and have caught Blues up tp 78 lbs and could get real excited if Milford would produce fish that size. Hopefully the lake will continue to be a great lake to fish and I will vote for size limits.

20. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    has plenty of blues from Kaw Lake up to around Ark City Ks.Closer you get to the lake seems like the bigger they get.
    Loop