Blue catfish in Clinton Reservoir.......

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by KAW RIVER KILLER, Nov 5, 2009.

1. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    I saw on the KDWP website that blues have been stocked in Clinton, but I don't know for how long. Does anyone have any idea how big they are yet?

2. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    The webb site says they put in 21035 fish on 10/16/08. I'm no expert on blue cats but it takes about 5/6 years to grow to aprox 5/6 lbs, they they change over to eating other fish and get big quick

3. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Ya, thats what I saw, but I wasn't sure if they had been stocked in prior years.

4. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    According to theie webb site thats the only stocking, they put 28536 in ElDorado on 10/16 2008. I have caught several of them, you have to watch close when your channel fishing, the little ones are hard to spot, look for the sq anal fin. They are mostly about 12/14 inches and fat little pigs, I did get one this spring that was 15/16 inches maybe 1 1/2 lbs
    they will bite secrect 7 just loke a channel, they have to be 35" before you can keep them, thats going to a 20lb fish or maybe bigger, I would not keep one that size .

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    It's not impossible that a few blues were caught up the Wakarusa when the dam was closed off, but for practical purposes it's just a bunch of dinks from the last couple of years.

6. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Or people catching them on the Kaw and then dumping them at Clinton.

7. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

maybe:smile2:

8. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    In the town of Clinton (Bloomington Corp. park) there is a bait store. The guy that own's/runs it keep track on thing like that. He probably has pictures from last summer.

9. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I don't think we are biologist.Don't know why anyone would want to transfer fish from one body of water to the next.:confused2:

10. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Its thinking ahead, getting them in the lake ahead of the plan just means they are better established before the Zebra's hit. :wink: and the little ones the state stocks will have bigger friends to hang out with.:smile2:

11. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I think I would like to see my $$ go to research and give the little one's a chance than to see the big ones eat them.:wink:

12. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    Zebra mussels are in Lake Perry. I've found them in Rock Creek Boat Ramp area on rocks (small rocks). You can snag the mussel attached to a rock and pull the whole rock in to the boat.
    I'll change my signature; 'Save a fish, hook a rock'

Opps, wrong thread

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  13. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

its the same way flatheads have gotton into every body of water were there isnt a river feeding into it

14. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Or at least let the flatheads eat them without the competition. :smile2:

15. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    :smile2::smile2: LOL

16. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    They do not compete against each other, at least that is what the state guys say. :eek:oooh: Or that is what they said when they put the Blues in Clinton.

17. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

there some very nice flatheads in that lake

18. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas

And that is putting it lightly, but I wonder how long it will last once the blues get to any size. I have read reports from several lakes that once the blues came in and took off and got to a good size the flatheads just died out to some point. Milford is one place that comes to mind right off the top of my head.

19. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    To the serious side of this, I'm dead set against redneck style fish stocking. You hear a lot of people talk about it, usually they have a "friend" who does it. Hopefully it's mostly just talk, as I'm sure the fine and penalties for illegal stocking would be pretty steep. Bring a blue cat that has been eating zebra mussels or asian carp eggs and release it into Clinton Lake and you stand a pretty good chance of introducing those to the lake as well

On state stocking of blue cats, Clinton Lake has been a great flathead lake, and part of me hates to see the balance there tampered with.

20. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas

I asked the question last year at the open house to one fo the officals and they told me that the 2 would get along just fine and the numbers would not be bothered. That the big flats would manage fine. I then asked them about the small ones getting to the size of some of the big boys that Clinton has now and they said that again nothing would be disturbed. I then brought up Milford and how flatheads were more common in the lake yeara ago and then the blues came in and the numbers seemed to drop and so did the size. They said that they had no record of that.

As of the stocking of Blues in Clinton The ones that I know that were put in the lake were years ago and they were taken from the River at Bowerstock and below. This was way before the Zebra outbreak in Perry. As for the ones that tossed them in the lake, lets just say it was better for them there then were all the other big fish went. These guys were out for meat and that is it. They set lines all over the Topeka and Lawrence area and kept ungodly amounts of Flatheads, thank god for some reason they did not want blues or channels they got tossed back. I just wise they did not like the flats either. One good thing about it is they are too old to run the lines like they did so the fish are safe.