Blue catfish in Baldwin Lake

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by alton, Nov 26, 2007.

1. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would really appreciate information in regard to the size blues caught in Baldwin Lake. I would also appreciate any information in regard to the bank fishing spots and bank fishing success at this lake. Thanks

2. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Aaron and I just came back from there this last Sunday. Sitting in the boat freeing our butts off in the rain and wind... but I pulled out a 12lb blue while we were there and Aaron pulled out maybe a 6 or 7lber would be my guess.

Aaron does bank fishing out there.. but he is crazy too. He walks along the levee which is like 23000000 miles long. Like I said, he is crazy. ;)

3. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I

Dave:

Most of the blues that I've caught from there and have seen range from 5 - 30#. I heard of guys catching 40 and 50 pounders, but I've never seen them. Most trips Brian and I catch a couple in the teens, my biggest is 18# and Brian's 12#. I have my best bank fishing in the northeast corner at the warm water discharge. Best baits are live and cut bluegill. Good luck!

4. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Brian:
    Aren't you exaggerating just a bit? The levee is only 22000000 miles long :wink: Seriously though, it is a couple mile hike. I load my gear on a heavy duty garden cart with oversized wheels. Makes that long, cold walk a little more bearable.

5. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Told you he is crazy.

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Maybe he just likes to fish? :confused2: :smile2::smile2::smile2: some like to watch it on tv in the warmth of the home, and some really don't care if it is freezing rain or snowing 3" an hour.... :crazy: Do they ever shut that lake down?

Hey one thing tho BW, I remember back in late 80"s we had a walleye tourny up at clinton, LOL feb. 10th I think it was :crazy: about 20* and sunny LOL! the guys from work were laughing at me and my boat partner cause we had full faced cycle helmets at the start, next time out about 95% of the boats had them...LOL gets a little chilly running across the water at 7 a.m. when it is 20* out:wink:

By the way I get to walking again and you will be getting a call or email for a trip to Coffeen this winter Bro! really nuttin like catchin Fish in the snow and fog, just set the Mr. Buddy heater next to your feet and good to go all day! warm up pretty fast when ya stick a pig too! You will Love it BW! cept for when the ramp gets a little "Glaze" on it :wink: LMAO! REALLY!

7. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Why do I love you crazy bums so much... just plain insane...

So get better and lets fish! :big_smile::big_smile:

I never been to cofeen... would be a real treat. Guess I better look into getting some nice warm pants. The rain on the thighs got pretty chilly. Oh ya.. summer weigh shoes with mesh sucked to wear too. I so miss 'warm' days already.

But that hot crap can stay away!

8. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Matt:

There is a 2 lane boat ramp on the west side of the lake. If you go, dress warm and good luck!

9. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Dress warm indeed... but I think it is supposed to warm up a bit more tomorrow! :crazy: Why can't it ever be nice out when we have time to fish Aaron? Whew!

But as Aaron said, when you enter the park/wildlife preserve/whatever, follow the road. Right when you enter is a parking area, drive past it and follow the road. It will lead you right to the boat ramp. Can't miss it!

Btw.... half the time that boat ramp is a good spot to catch shad with a castnet. Been stinking to catch bluegill there though. If you need shad, could be worth trying to see if they are there. But lately, seems they moved off to another location.

Good luck.

10. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    No kidding! It's either blazing hot, freezing, raining, or we have to fight 10 foot waves :confused2:

The boat ramp is pretty nice, allowing easy launching and loading.

As Brian said, the ramp can be a great spot to catch shad. You either load up on one cast, or you won't catch any. Brian and I do have a secret spot to catch bluegill, however :wink:

Best of luck to you. Please post your results.

11. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Secrets!? well I never.....ok maybe once, :smile2: So Arron, are you now renting the bait catcher on the side? :wink: :smile2::smile2::smile2:

BW, I have one more round of shot's scheduled for 2nd week in December, (YAE!! Early present:eek:oooh:) LOL, anyway after that should be good to go fish the SNOW! So swap them flip-flops in fer some boots brother...LOL, Oh Yea they have the "TRAP-DOOR" Thermals on sale at Rural King! :tounge_out:

12. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Oh man... I think I would take that present back and demand something a little better. LOL

Ya... so I am looking at Rural King online. Isn't that store in Waterloo or something? I might have to take a trip and find some big boy warm clothes again. My North Dakota gear is good, but I don't want to fish in it and mess it up! :crazy:

13. fishinnstudyin

fishinnstudyin New Member

State:
    MO
    went out the day before Thanksgiving for a couple of hours. Didn't expect to catch much but went out with my little cousins. Fished the middle of the south end of the lake. Threw a cast net about 100 times and got only dinkie catfish and about a half dozen pinky sized shad and two shad about 5 inches long. Loaded to rods with bluegill and shad chunks but got nothing. however, using nightcrawlers caught four nice handsize bluegill and using cut bluegill flesh the size of my pinky nail caught about 8-10 dinky channels and a 3 lb drum. Didn't even know drum were in that lake. I have yet to catch a catfish between 1-4 lbs in that lake. anyone know where those eater size catfish are at? I'll be back down around the middle of December if anyone would like to fish together.

14. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Oh ya.. drum are polluted in there. That's all I could catch one day... I would have caught my limit pretty quick the first day I ever fished Baldwin. LOL

Has been some slow biting lately. Use big chunks of bait if you want nice cats. I use a 7/0 circle and use half a bluegill. Does well enough to detour the dinks. And yes, that lake is litered with tons of dinks. It is ridiculous number of dinks that you end up catching bunch in castnets as well as on bobbers with maggots trying to pop some bluegill bait. haha.

I don't know my directions on that lake... straight out from the boat ramp across the lake.. drift that hole side is pretty solid. That's the warm water dump I believe.

15. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Alright Randy... I just spent 200 bucks at Rural King to stay warm. Let's go fishing in the cold now. haha!

16. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    $200! Hmmmm, that would be, a pair of socks,gloves, cap, and maybe a jackett...:smile2: :wink:

17. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    hat, coverall legs, coat and gloves!

18. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Brian:
    Glad to hear you will be warm when you're catching my bait! :smile2:

19. fishnfwl