Blue catfish in Arizona

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by CaTfIsHKyLe, Nov 6, 2006.

1. CaTfIsHKyLe

CaTfIsHKyLe New Member

State:
    AZ
    Any one know if there are any blues in the state of Az. Some people say there ar ein Rosey and Canyon. Can any one confrim this?

2. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Not sure where, but not in Roosie.

3. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    there is the same discussion on AZBASSZONE.COM about a guy who swears he is catching blues out of canyon. And throughout the post there is reference to AZ F&G having knowledge of blues in ROOSIE?! I havent caught any blues in the state of AZ. Back home in Missouri we caught them on a regular in the lakes and rivers. But here you would have to reference the site formentioned, or call F&G. Most the time inexperienced anglers confuse channels for blues.

4. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Everyone,

As far as I know, there are no Blues in Arizona. If you look at the AZ Game and Fish website, there is a listing for Blue catfish state record from a lake in Tucson. From what I understand, the fish were stocked into the lake years ago. Now, the lake is a golf course...again, from what I understand.

As far as blues in Roosie and in the canyon, I have caught several larger channel cats out of the Salt River section...the largest being 19lbs. The heavier cats were all blue in color, but they were all channels.

The easiest way to tell is by looking at the anal fin. As with the blue in my profile pic, the anal fin is not really rounded. It is more of a straight cut fin. On a channel, it is rounded and more of a semi-circle. The real way to tell is by the toothpads in their mouth. I believe there is a thread about the toothpads in the BOC Library somewhere...I will look into that.

I could see a lot of people catching blue-colored channels and mistaking them for blue cats. I would have claimed the same thing if I had not caught tons of blue cats in Georgia.

Ryan

5. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Okay guys,

I couldn't find any info in the library, but I hopped onto Yahoo and found this:

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geusgE2...om/catfish/messages/66/572484.html?1083285602

You may have to cut and paste it to open it. Anyway, if you scoll down the page to Cornhuskers post, you will see some different picture as to what I was talking about.

On another topic, the old BOC site is bringing back a lot of memories...ones that I miss and get sad about. I remember so many BOC members that are no longer with us and it is kinda depressing. I am sure that they wouldn't want any of us to be sad about it, but the BOC is just not the same without them.

Ryan

6. THE CATKING

THE CATKING New Member

State:
    Cattinatti
    Hey guys- I'm here in yor state checking out lakes and rivers...some really nice deep lakes around....blues would do good out here.......THE CATKING !!!

7. THE CATKING

THE CATKING New Member

State:
    Cattinatti
    Oh , I'm in the Phoenix area right now. Flagstaff is a beautiful area .....I doubt that blues are out west , but that's not to say they wouldn't do well...I believe they would thrive ...THE CATKING !!! :smile2: