Blue catfish in a pond?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Clovis, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    How do they do if caught in a river or lake and transfered?

Would I do better to stick with channels for this?

I don't think there are any more catfish in this pond and was thinking of restocking a few from what I catch in the river or lake.

Anything wrong with this idea?

Ethicly?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I would be careful with this as a lot of states and counties can give a stiff fine for transporting fish from a body of water and putting them elsewhere. I would leave the pond owner at liberty to stock it themselves as they may not want blues insside of their pond for a reason in such a small body of water. Blues also thrive in bigger bodies of water better with access to moving water and various type of structure and depths.

3. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    One of the problems with transfering fish from one body of water to another is that you can transfer parasites along with the fish. The resident fish may not be resistant to these parasites and it can infect the entire population. There is also a balance that should be considered between spieces of fish. I would check with the Dept. of Fish and Wildlife in your area. They can provide the proper info.

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I tried this...I put maybe two dozen 8-10" blues in my 2 acre pond, and never saw them again. *poof* Gone. I haven't a clue what became of them.

5. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    How ever many blues you put in the pond, thats how many is gonna be there.They want reproduce in a small pond.So you want have to worry about them overpopulating.They've done nothing but help the pond that I put them into.The man that owned the fish hatchery that I bought the blues and channels from recommended that I put several large blues or flatheads but not to get to carryed away with flatheads to help thin and keep the population of overproductive species down.There used to be an overpopulated and stunted largemouth population.I put several fish from 20 to 30 lbs and a few over 40lbs in it.Within 4 years of the blues being in there the bass population has thinned out and we are starting to catch 7 to 8lb largemouth.I put 500 fingerlength blues and 300 fingerlen channels.In the first two years of them being in there the blues where 2 1/2 to 3 lbs the channels where 1 1/2 to 2lbs.The channel cats will come to the surface and eat floating catfish food but the blues want but they still are growing faster than the channels.We tagged all of the big fish that we caught and put in there and we catch em quite often.One has went from 27 to 35lbs in two years the others have only put on 1 to 4 lbs while one in particular hasnt put any weight on.Some ponds may not be suitable for this but it seems to have helped this one greatly.If you have any more questions shoot me a PM.

6. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I'll tell you what happened... I caught em, ate em, and wish youd go out and catch some more! Bigger ones too! I got family coming for the holidays, and they like to eat! So hurry up and and get fishin!!!

:haha:

I think if those fish are going to a private pond, the rules may not apply. Switching fish from lake/river to another state/fed lake/river is a no-no. I think.?.?.?

7. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I would make sure the pond is oxygenated and roughly weedless. I put some in my pond which isn't very deep and they died. However I have giant flatheads in there?:roll_eyes: ? It is a deep beaver pond but hard to catch cats, bass is a different story :big_smile: ! Numerours fish over 5 pounds and a 10.4, and 11 pounder!

8. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well 4 years ago I put 6 blue all over 20 lbs in a pond on the farm . it has a deep end about 14 feet to help with the bluegills this year the kids started catching small blues 6 to 8" long. So i ran a net on the one side and had over 100 in one trip all around the same size. So if thing are right in the pond blues will breed. Now I need to try some shad and see what happens.

9. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Thats pretty neat.I sunk 50 gallon drums in the pond like I was instructed to do with holes big enough for a 40+ lb fish to get into.To my knowledge they havent spawned any yet.You've got a rare thing goin on your pond.Is there alot of timber or something in it that they can spawn in?

10. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    no we do have alot of rocks on one side and a sandy side that runs out the a drop off from 6 to about 12'. but that is about all maybe i got luckybut it worked

11. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was gonna suggest the fish were impregnated with eggs when stocked, but they still must be fertilized. I know they will produce in big lakes. That's pretty cool you got some to reproduce.

12. Whiskeyriver

Whiskeyriver New Member

State:
    WA
    Give it a try. What the heck.

13. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I'm not a biologist but when I stocked my pond about 8 years ago with channels the guy I got them from told me not to put anything "wild" in with them as they might spread diseases that the pond fish could not handle. I have since put a good bit of cover for the little ones to hide in and my pond is thriving. I you know for sure that your pond is barren of any cats it most likely would not hurt anything to put them in it. Not sure about other states but where I live in GA you can do whatever you want to in a private pond. You don't even have to have fishing license to fish private ponds here.

Cheez

14. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i have heard from numerous people if there is a creek coming in and one going out they will spawn. i dont the truth to it but have been told this numerous time.

15. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I Agree with Bluehunter, leave the stocking to the pond owner.

16. Kycatfishing

Kycatfishing New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    How do blue catfish do in ponds because I have a pond about 1.5 acres and about 5 foot average depth and I put blues in it 2 years ago but I see no dead fish, but the only blues I put I there are over 20 but when I catch catfish I catch blues 5-12 pounds the forage is sunfish bluegill shad fathead minnows and shiners they're are also carp bullhead crappie and channels and bass
    Will my blues survive???
    will they put on some weight and if so how much??
    Will they float if they die???
    How can I help them get up to the 40 pound range ???
    How can I help my pond??

17. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i had one 15 pounder in one pond and it did ok until somone stole him:(

18. Nate Brown

Nate Brown New Member

State:
    kentucky
    The smallest pond i would stock is 10 acres. Blues like to suspend and follow baitfish, so a pond with a max depth over 25 feet and enough open water for threadfin shad to survive would be a good bet for blues. Channels and flatheads like to sit around and hold close to structure. Blues are constantly moving or fighting current.