Blue catfish in 140 ft?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by WLG, Feb 15, 2007.

1. WLG

WLG New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I was recently scouting out new water on nicjajack lake here in Chattanooga and came across a hole thats 145 ft deep. Its in the main channel which is around 50 ft and then drops off into that "HOLE" which is probably 1/2 acre or so. Do you think catfish would be that deep this time of year or any other time of year for that matter or would it be a waste of time to drop baits in water that deep???

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    If they are in there, I would be sure to not crank them in real fast due to the pressure difference. By the time you got them to the surface, they would be ready to explode if you didn't bring them up slowly.

3. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    at this time of year id have to say there shoud be some in there id say the best thing to do is to run a good fish finder over it an see if there laying on the ledges an look for the bait fish good luck hope you find one in there

4. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i forget which magazine i was reading and in the late fall months they where catching 60 pounds plus during a tournament in 135ft of water i think it might have been this last months fishing insider

5. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
  6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think them cats are laying that deep. U just got to try it.

7. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Sounds like you may have a new honey hole on your hands!

Good luck, hope you find plenty of fish!

8. WLG

WLG New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I was just wondering if there would be enough oxygen and bait in water that deep to attract them. also I dont know what the temp would be at that depth. I may give it a try in the near future.....id love to pull a large fish from water that deep!!!

9. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i would fish it if i was you , the deeper the water the warmer the water . id say fish should be down there and i wouldnt be suprized if some are albino .

10. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I bet they can go that deep, I wonder about baitfish though. I don't think a bluegill could go that deep and I doubt shad could either but I may be wrong. Try it! If they are down there because of warm water and there aren't any baitfish I bet they are hungry and would love to see a cut shad dropped down there!!!

11. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    WLG I wouldn't be scared to try it. When I am looking at new water I look for things to define an area. If it were an ouside bend or something that defines the area besides just a hole all the better. If it's just a straight stretch of river channel with a "pot hole" in it, I might be less confident. Think of it in terms of what the cats need to survive and whether all of those things are within the area a short distance away.

12. FishinRich

FishinRich New Member

State:
    Colorado
    140ft seems a little deep but you never know. unless you try. We catch big blues all the time at 80ft. but that is about all the deeper it gets where we fish in a old river channel.

13. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Cats will go to that level if its available and there are baitfish, structure, and nutrients there. I would fish that in mid day times. Chances are though, you are going to have to burp the fuish if coming from that deep of water.

14. stitch

stitch New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Has anybody on here personally pulled a blue cat from that depth? I was just wondering, i'm not experianced at blue catfishing any but it does seem awful deep. And I'm definatly not saying that they don't go that deep. But since I'm not a blue cat fisherman, and since I have no experiance with deep water, and since this is a discussion forum, let's run through some numbers.

Water pressure at depth changes 1 atmosphere (1 ATM = 14.7 psi) for every 33-feet of depth. Here is my source for the information: http://www.wmi.org/bassfish/articles/T199.htm.

So 140' divided by 33' equals approx. 4.24 ATMs. In other words, a fish that wants to go to 140' for any extended period of time must contend with over four times the amount of pressure we face here at the surface. That's over 63 pounds per square inch! If any of you have ever taken a wooden square block 1 inch by 1 inch and put 12.7 lbs on top of it and put it on your arm, then you know how heavy it is.

If a blue could go down that far, though, why couldn't a bluegill? On second thought, why would a bluegill go that deep? would there even be food for a bluegill down there?:sad2:

15. stitch

stitch New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Oh, and at 80 feet the pressure is only 2.8 ATM's. Just FYI.

16. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have often wondered how deep they go. I would just have to find out, give a try. If you don't catch try at different times. At some point a monster may be there. Keep us informed

Danny

17. stitch

stitch New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yeah, that's a good question. If anybody on here knows of some super deep holes, i don't care how deep lol as long as u specify, do u guys think you could set up some sort of super deep trot line or jugs or something and see what the maximum detph we could find a fish at? and size! that would be awesome keep us posted please!:big_smile: U guys could PM me like months later that's fine it would just be cool to know. Thanks

18. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    the depth of water wont hurt fish I wouldnt think. I scuba dive and am certified to 130 ft. I dont notice the added pressure at that depth. I have to equalize going down and come up slowly but being on the bottom not crushing me. it's mostly the compressed oxygen that cause the problems, fish can deal with that. also warm water is not on the bottom. when the water on the bottom becomes warmer than water at surface..the lake rolls over. meaning the warm water comes to top and cold drops to bottom. I normaly go thru about 2 thermalclines when I go diving 1 around 15' deep and again around 30, changes are more suttle after that. how cold on the bottom? can't be colder than the ground temp it has a big earth insulation all the way around and on bottom. I'd say a good flowing lake probably around 40 degrees on bottom not any colder. if it was all snow melt I couldnt tell you I never go in cold water like that. I dived the rock quarry in Thomasville it's 80 ft at deepest. I went down it was very dark, very cold and couldnt see anything. but I think the cats are there. I have been many times in 30' around that lake, I see ocasional cats but only when I'm deep and they are still deeper. I may try to fish some deep holes in the future and we will meet back here and see how it went.:big_smile:

19. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I guess I should mention, fishing not allowed in that quarry. it's a scuba resort, but they feed fish and there are monsters in there!!

20. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    There's an article in one of the magazines this month about deep water Blues, I haven't had a chance to read it yet. I scanned it a bit and apparently you have to "burp" them when you bring them up from deep water, or they will die. I'll check it out some more.