Blue Catfish, how much do they run?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by breadboy, Jun 14, 2006.

1. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hi guys,
    I was just wondering how much does a big blue run off the drag so I know if I have to respool or not. I just put on some 50 pound powerpro on my Penn GTi outfit, but I forgot I had very little braid left. I would say it has 50 yards or so of braid. When I catch channels, they just spin and dig when they fight. I was wondering if that is so with blues. I am going to try for blues once the river goes down (we got 5 inches of rain in one week!). Thanks,
    breadboy

2. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    They make really long runs in rivers.If you only have 50 yards on there I would definatly put some more line on it.By the time you cast you want have any line on it.

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    The one's I've caught didn't make real long runs but ran about 10 yards or so, my biggest of 43lbs made about five runs during the fight but all of them were only like 10 yards and then I gained line back, it kept running right when I would get it close to the bank.

Definitely put more line on though, when you cast you will have a lot less line on your reel, and you never know what might happen.

4. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    if you get lucky with the 50yards then you want be happy. been there a couple times in my life and lost both times. ssssspppppppooooooooo oooooooo lllllllllllllllllllled. notice the ed comes real fast!!!!

5. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Man, ain't that fun, I'm going to try to get down your way in a few weeks, I'll pm you when I get to come down, We need to meet and brag about fishing. steve

6. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ok, since I don't want to really spend a ton of money on line, I will get some Berkely Big Game or something of the like. The rod is medium-heavy action 20-30 pound test. I will try to get 30 pound test ASAP. Thanks.