Blue catfish - how do you catch em

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by CATDADDY78, Apr 17, 2006.

1. CATDADDY78

CATDADDY78 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    we cant seem to catch anything please give me some tips on how to catch blues

2. CATDADDY78

CATDADDY78 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    anyone have a 40-50 hp for sale

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Jason, here in Ky on the Ohio river we fish for blues alot. I like to use skipjack for bait, but shad will work just as good. The outside bends are where most of the blues are found and that is where you will find the large ones. I like to fish undercut ledges with shad whole or cut. Another great spot to catch them is to fish the dams. We fish the dams around the bottom edge of the rip rap. You will also catch alot of channels and flatheads this way with a striper mixed in once and a while. You can also catch them at the current breaks below lowhead dams when the water is running out hard. Good luck. Vern

4. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    If you're in an open area such as a lake or a large river, I suggest drifting cut bait suspended about a foot or two off the bottom. By drifting I mean using one or two drift socks and let the wind carry you over structure, or if no wind you can use a trolling motor, that is if you use a boat. Also look for sharp dropoffs with a depthfinder. Creek and river channels are excellent places to try. Another tactic is to anchor in a medium-depth location and cast all around to different depths and see where you get the most strikes. Blue catfish tend to suspend at different depths, so therefore you can employ slip floats into your arsenal as well. Good luck and hope this helps!

5. claycntyjoe

claycntyjoe New Member

State:
    Northern Kentucky
    I also fish the Ohio river (Cincy area). I like the damns but really prefer the backwaters especially the mouth where it meets the river. I will use shad, shiners, and mussels. Small bluegills live or cut work really well at times.

I fish from the bank only so it limits the area I can cover, That is why I like the Backwater areas so much, They are a true smorgesboard.

I also have some luck in the evening casting a slip float in the main river channel about 3-5 ft deep, 2-3hours before dark seems to be the best. I would like to note that I do this just below where a small creek empties into the river. I cast out just far enough to be in the current (15 to 30 ft deep) and in front of the creek mouth and let the bait drift freely with the current. Hold on tightly at all times almost lost a pole last fall when a 20lb striper hit at full speed. This method works on bigger channels, blues, stripes, and unfortunatly the occasional gar.

The main thing to remember is don't be afraid to experiment. It only takes being in the right place at the right time once to catch a fish of a lifetime.