Blue catfish help!

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by caneycat, Nov 27, 2007.

1. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I will be entering a online texas catfishing tounment in january for all fresh water catfish, and i no that is a good month for big blue cat so i think i will target them. I would like to try some bottom fishing, drift and fishing float fishing. I no how to bottom fish but what boat position is best? I do not no how to drift fish and thare is not much current so the boat will not be moveing fast at all. I have not fished a float fished up the creek were i will be fishing and i am geting two 5 inch kat bobbers and two 4 inch fat kat bobbers for christmas, SHHHHHHHH DO NOT TELL MY MOM LOL! The water is 10 to 7 foot deap were i will be fishing, how deap should i set my bobber stop for? Should i fish them while i drift the boat or while the boat is anchored? I need as much help as i can get, I never can get cats in the winter!

Any help is appreciated,
    caneycat.

2. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Dylan, you have plenty of time between now and then. Put all your spare till the tourney into reading everything on here you can about blues. Don't overlook channels either, I have caught them thru the winter up here. I bet you can read posts every day for a year and still not read all of them. The more you read the better idea you will have in your mind as to what you should be doing. I learned first from reading then went out and got some time on the water. You will no doubt get great info here, but there is NO SUBSTITUTE for time on the water. You'll learn something every trip.

3. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    how cold does your water get?

Around here when the water hits 45 or below the Blues head for the wintering holes and We catch them in some of the deepest water in the lake or river.

4. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    The water temp is 57 now and i do not think is got below 50 last year.

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Its a hard decision thats for sure, we hit a hole 3 weeks ago that was 50+ on the river, and the water temp was at 58 degrees and caught 29 fish, went back 2 times since with nothing to show for. hmm...?? What kind of bait fish do you have in that water, shad? That is one thing I look for is baitfish, if you dont have a good depth finder they are hard to spot, but usually if there is alot of them they will be popping the water anyway. The one thing I noticed the day we caught 29 was all the bait fish, it seems if you follow them, usually you do pretty well. But then again they were there the second time also and we didnt catch squat. Like S-man said, the bottom line is you have to spend time on the water and learn by trial and error. Keep moving around until you find the fish, and if the water you are fishing isnt that deep, try to target a few of the deeper holes first, if you get nothing then just keep moving. Practice, practice, practice...Lets face it, if we all slayed them everytime we went out, in some twisted way for some reason we probably wouldnt fish as much...lol. Just put your time in and learn your body of water, you will be on them in no time. Good Luck bud.:wink:

6. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have a lowrance x67c fish finder on my boat. Is thare a bottom tipe that blues prefer?

7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hard to say, I have heard flat like sand or gravel, and I have heard structure, and I have caught them in both. Usually the more current the more I will look for structure that breaks the current, but who knows. I am by no means a pro at catching blues, this year is really the first one I have started targeting them. If I am fishing they usually dont like being within 10 square miles of the boat anyway so its hard to tell...LOL:smile2:

8. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    what body of water are u gonna chase blues in?

9. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I live on a small ceeek on the coast of texas, but i rather not tell you what creek!

10. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    do u have a fish finder on you boat?
    What kind of depths do u have?
    is it an area that drifting is an option?
    what kind of depths do u have there?
    any deep water?
    any transitions between deep and shallow (edges of a deep channel, deep humps, points)??

For all areas in our state i will suggest getting some really fresh cut bait, shad, carp, buffalo, perch or even chicken.
    The fresher the bait the better luck i have had on it for blues. It seems for the bigger fish i have had to get my bait RIGHT ON THEIR NOSE. I cannot depend on them to come to my bait i have to get it to them. i do this by drifting or ancoring where i have seen big fish on the screen of my FF.

Good luck in your tourny,

11. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    1. I have lowrance x67c fish finder!
    2. 7 to 10 foot deep were I will be fishing!
    3. Not much of current, so maby not!
    4. 7 to 10 foot deep were I will be fishing!
    5.Not really.
    6. I no of a spot were a slough dumps in to the creek and it has put a lot of dirt in the creek it is more of a hump than any thing, it goes from 7 feet up to 2.5 feet and then slowley drops off back to 7 foot. It goes up from 7 to 2.5 real fast.

12. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i dont think ur in the right water to catch a big blue. That is just my opinion, but i could be wrong. For me to catch blues i have to chase the shad. I find where the shad are at (usually done by going to downwind side of lake and looking at sonar) and fishing below them or fishing the holes that the blues stack in. It sounds like you have neither a place that will gather lots of shad, or have a deep wintering hole. Good luck, i would drift using my trolling motor at .5mph until i found the fish.