blue catfish habitat

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by slikk03, Jul 2, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well i spelld that wrong lol, any way, why is it blues are more active in the winter, me being a flathead guy, im realy wanting to get a big 60 pound blue, but i lack a boat,and im just wandering, what the best bet and seoson to get blues from shallower areas are, im taliking 15 foot deep no current, should i fish at night, in the summer, im clueless about bluecats,i have noticed they like shad skips car cut,and swifter deep water, thats it,

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Around here we can catch them year round. My favorite time is in the fall and early winter as water temps start to drop and the cats begin to turn it on. My personal best was caught from the bank in November. (47.9 lbs) In about 20-30 foot of water after a 50-75 yard cast into the river channel. I was still only using 20Lb mono and had a he11 of a fight on my hands. It seems as though the best time to catch a big Brute Bluecat around here is during winter using cutbaits. I really like bluegill heads.:cool2:

3. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Blues are bigriver fish..Its just that simple..They are out of there element in shallow water with no current unless they are babies..And because they live in big rivers thats what makes them so hard to locate cause they have lots of room.I think the really big blues hang out in 50-60 ft of water..

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea but if you see the vidios on the cumberland there not but 45 50 yards off the bank,

5. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Blues are roamers. Good bets for big ones is late aug till nov on the MO and Miss . Sandbars next to deep water or the channel @ night and in behind slot dikes on the Mo are good. If bank Bound get a rig out to the channel edge or out off the tip of a wing dike. Get the rod I recomended from BP and a big spinnen reel and reach out to get em @ alton. And hook up with the local guys @ alton they can get you on a blue. Pop on the GateWay cats fourm and see if you can get a boat ride out fishen form one of em.

6. roughneck30

roughneck30 New Member

State:
    texas
    i aint caught none as big as the one in welders picture, but on the sabine i have caught them up to 52lbs. its not a big river but it holds a good number of blues. other than during the spawn ive caught my big ones i the dead of summer. the 52lber came in early august and we got a 38lber 3 days ago at 11 in the morning and it was a nice cool 103 degrees. so to me it seems like a right place right time situation, but current is deffinetly a plus.

7. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    ll ill be lucky to get one until i get a boat, i might never get a 50 ,pound blue, if im bank bound, they reqire alot more money than flathead fishing

8. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    You can catch them in the shallows at night in the summer of course, but here's the kicker.....we've caught 30-50 pound fish in 6 feet of water or less dead of winter. In areas out of the main river flow (the James is a tidal river with strong currents either way). A couple of the theories behind this are that the shallow water bays warm faster than the main river as the day progresses, attracting baitfish and their predators. Another is that the baitfish are looking for a break from the current, so they school up in these bays, and of course the catfish follow. Just something to keep in mind. They aren't always in the deepest parts of the river.

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well im goin g to try alton dam, this weekend, , the problem is one of my rods is to short making the retrive throgh rocks impossible, also ill be using bluegill,

10. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I guess I'm very fortunate that I dont have to travel very far at all to be at a good bank spot to catch blues. Actually, I have to travel a little further to get to good flathead fishing than good blue fishing. Around here you can catch 50 lb blues from the bank as well as flatheads. It doesn't cost me anymore money to fish for blues than it does flatheads. Jake, if you get the chance to get down this way this fall around october-November.....you should come on down. We might be able to get you on a big blue!:cool2:

11. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio

40-50yrds off bank at cumberland is pretty deep

12. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    thats why i wished i lived on the cumberlend lol, ill sucks bad

13. dcm

dcm New Member

State:
    ky
    Big blues will come in close to feed at night. I caught a 53#on a limb line in 2006. I have caught a lot of nice blues on limb lines.