Blue catfish Habitat Help

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by koakley1, Oct 11, 2007.

1. koakley1

koakley1 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I mostly bank fish on on a 7000 acre lake - max depth 60'. I have fished the lake for a year and a half and have never caught a blue. I recently got my first boat but the outboard shot craps shortly after buying, so I've been sticking to small coves and inlets with the trolling motor. Do the blues prefer the deep open water or have I just been unlucky ? I know theres blues in the lake, I've seen other fishermen with them and I read a report the the state stocked them 3 years ago.

2. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Depending on the time of year, those blues can be in those 60 foot holes, or they can be in 3 feet of water on the banks. Best advice I can give is to use fresh live, or cut, baits that are indigenous to that body of water. Generally speaking, middle of summer, and middle of winter you'll find those blues down deep. During mild water temp's, and or a recent rain is causing a slow rise in the water column, you'll be able to find those fish in the shallows. That lake should have channels that lead to those deeper holes and they would be good places to search as well. Best of luck in your quest.

3. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Is this lake an old river that has a dam forming a lake? If so look for the old river channel and then try to find the ledges along it. Blues like current usually around a deeper hole.....Good luck