Blue Catfish for Table Fare

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by beaneye46, Jan 10, 2006.

1. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i tried eating a blue cat for the first time several weeks ago, and i have to honest i wasn't that impressed.
    It was a 33 pounder which my buddy caught and brought me over a fillet. which personally i don't agree with cuz those bigger ones are the breeders. EAT THE SMALL ONES
    but the fish tasted like a shad and dirt mixture, i had to spit it out. i made sure i cut off any red or grey portions of the meat.
    was the fish just too big to eat or are blues just not meant for eating

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    in my opinion blues are the finest eating of all the catfish. i used to eat them from time to time when i used to ******* fish. i loved them, biggest i ate was a 35lb fish, had these monsterous filets i got off of them which i cut into steaks. meat was just fine to me, no toughness or anything. i think their a lot like channels so i'd avoid eating the males. male channels arent good at all and they're a little tough. i kept them at the ******** because they rarely live more than a year. blues need a lot of food and most of your 5 foot deep ******** do not have enough food to support them....let alone all the other fish they stock!

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Blues are great table fare, but, as with any fish, to each their own.

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yes Blue cat's are awesome tablefare! But it's like Tdawg said in the above post.
    Also they have to be cleaned just right.

Zakk

5. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I love cat fish but I will not eat a big one. Anything over 10 pounds will go back. This is just me. I love the fight to well to eat such a hard fighter.

6. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    The fish your buddy kept and filleted to eat... its probably been out there around 10 or so years atleast... That said you can probably understand the taste of shad and mud (it seems those tastes accumulate in the muscles/meat)... I agree with you on them being breeders and the small ones should be taken...

What i would do is:

#1 smack your buddy for taking such a large fish out of the system

#2 ask him to catch smaller fish or atleast keep smaller fish, like say 12"-20" or so

#3 Soak it in milk for a few hrs... it helps get the bad flavors out usually...

#4 EAT...

I won't say that the blue catfish doesn't taste good, to many it does but as i say for my photographs... to each their own... you either will or won't like it... it may be Bluecats don't have a taste that appeals to you or it may be that the river they come out of has pollutants that make the flavor that less appealing I don't know can't say... i would try more before you make judgements though

7. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

It really doesn't matter what species of fishes it is your are catching to eat, what matters is the waters you are pulling them from! I've eaten up to 35lbrs but they have all been clean and cold water river fish. I don't keep a Channel from a pond or slow waters in warm weather period, though I will keep a Channel from cold waters when their fat is disappearing. Usually the only fish we eat from warm waters is Bream.
    Bream is my favorite eating summer fish...
    Cold water Blues are my favorite eating ANYTIME!
    When you remove the red meat from a Blue you end up with nice white fillets, When you remonve the red meat from a Channel the fillets are yellowed or stained that's why I prefer Blues. It's kinda like the difference between Colorado grain fed White Tailed deer and it's sagey East Texas cousin, just depends on their environment.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Most of the catfish we eat are blues. However, during the summer, I won't keep any fish caught in the nuclear plant outlet because the water's about as hot as a very warm bath. Makes the fish mushy. I prefer to eat fish under 10# or so, but when hard up for catfish, I've eaten larger ones.

9. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    i would say the reason it didnt taste good would be due to the water they came from and just that it was a older fish. i wont keep a blue over 5 pounds the bigger blues also seem harder to skin. but i think the main thing is the water the fish come from i know this lake out in east texas thats used to cool a power plant that burns coal the water is warm all year round you can get a limit of channels in about a hour but they taste so nasty like eating the mud off the bottom of the lake. usely we fished montocello all winter long and all the channels we would catch there we would bring home and let go in our big pond come summer we would run a trotline across it and run it everyday tell we had enough for a fish fry after beening in pond for some time they would lose the nasty mud taste.

10. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    not to mention all the toxins that have built up in a fish over years. smaller ones are better anyways. Think about it, what's a better cut of meat, apiece of veal, or a hunk out of an old cow. Makes sense. Small blues, 10 lb. and below make excellent table fare. Cut out the red and dark meat. Soak in milk for a few hours. Mix up some cornmeal, seasoned salt and pepper. Bread and fry or bake. I usually bake mine at 350 fro around 20-25 min. Wife is trying to eat healthy and all. Still pretty good. There is a trick to cleaning cats to get all the meat off of them. They are different from other fish. later!!

11. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    I Like Flathead Over Blue Anyday.:)

12. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    Water will certainly affect how a fish tastes, but the main factor is how you handle it. If you are going to keep it, gut it and put it on ICE. Don't put them on a stringer and drop them in 80 degree or warmer water, remember 10 or 20 feet down that water is alot cooler than that and in the winter (?) you get the point. It's always fun to show off a good stringer of fish, but stringers are NOT how to keep them if you are going to eat them, cooler full of ICE. I know of several people in this area, Warsaw, Mo, that clean the fish almost immediately after catching them, throw'em on the ICE. Leave the tails attached though. If you only fillet the fish, not a problem, just gut'em....throw'em on the ICE. I'm sure there are those that disagree with this, but adrenaline is part of that "BAD" taste in fish, so why give the fish a chance to produce anymore than necessary? I'm sure in some places you can't clean a fish while you are still on the water, because of I.D. problems so put the whole fish on ice. Cooler full of ICE for the fish and maybe a couple of cold ones on the side for after you catch that big one you're only going to take pictures of anyway.

13. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I agree with the taste having to do with the water they come from. I have had good tasting channels and blues, plus not so good tasting ones a swell. Compare a farm raised channel or blue to one that comes from a river and lake, and generally you will find the farmed raised ones will taste better. I had had the same experience with bluegills. I have caught some from a more clear water lake that was great great tasting. But Also have caught some from a lake that had jet skiers and a high boating reservoir that had lots of boats that let out oil, and the bluegill there were aweful tasting. Had and oil taste to them. So A lot of the taste factors depends on the water they come from. Sometimes we have to do extra preparation in our cooking to change the taste.

14. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    I put all my fish on ice aswell; never thought of gutting them on the spot though. I don't catch many fish but atleast my drinks are cold.

Jaime

15. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    How did he clean it, what I mean is when I fillet a fish I will soak it in cold water with salt, then rinse over and over again till only a white color is left in the meat, has always turned out tasting good to me.

16. BigDuck

BigDuck New Member

State:
    Trumann, Arkans
    Its all in the water quality!

17. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I live in Richmond and fish the Tidal James. We have some nice big fish here. I never keep big fish but last year I had a friend and he wanted to keep one. He took home a 22 pounder. He cleaned it and cut it into one inch nuggets that he fried for a bunch of friends. Keypone, PCB's, and whatever, what I ate was pretty darn good.:)

18. catstalker

catstalker New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I'm not sure if this relates but when I first ate Crappie they tasted very fishy and I had to spit it out as well. But I noticed everyone saying that Crappie was some of the best eating fish there was and I told an old timer about how fishy mine tasted and he told me it was because they were feeding heavy on shad at that time. So I tried them again and they tasted totally different been eating them now for years, Yum Yum. So maybe it had something to do with what this big blue was eating.

19. John Rogers

John Rogers New Member

State:
    va
    Blus are good just like flatheads and farm raised cats. But nothing is better than a big bull bream for dinner!!!