Blue catfish, Flathead catfish & Carp

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by diodeman, Jul 13, 2006.

1. diodeman

diodeman New Member

State:
    Benton Co. Mo.
    The prolific numbers of carp in the shallows are a premium offering of bait fish during these hot months when shad may be difficult to locate.

My primary catfish bait is sunfish, perch, and bluegills, followed by shad. This time of year I use live carp caught in shallows.

1 to 3lb carp are excellent flathead bait because hooking them behind the dorsal fin through their tough scales, near the tail, assures that they are not easily pulled off by smaller fish or sucked off by reluctant feeding flatheads, a species which usually engulfs their prey whole. To prevent the larger carp from swimming to far and peeling too much line off your reel slice off 70% of the back fin (do not cut into the main part of the body of the fishes tail or it will quickly bleed to death), this allows them to swim enough to create vibrations that attract the large flatheads and still swim enough to pass water through their gills and remain alive. Also make several small cuts into and below the skin of the carp along the bottom on the back side below the lateral line so as to injure the fish enough that it bleeds slightly ( like a paper cut to a human ), do not cut into the guts or belly of the fish as this will kill it prematurely. This method works well for both blues and flats but is partiularly effective for flatheads.

3A.M. to 6A.M. has proven to be very effective during the last week. I have been harvesting large female flatheads in the 30 to 50lb range which have already bred, laid their eggs and left the nesting area. All flatheads were returned to the water to grow.

I have re-strung all my cat poles with 100lb. test Power-Pro braided line because this morning at 4:00A.M a mottled yellow female flathead weighing 42lbs. 2oz. broke my 50lb. test Power-Pro as I was netting her. The weight was not the factor, rather it was the rasping 'teeth' sawing and fraying the line in two. I have ordered 12" stainless-steel braided leaders to end the fraying problem which occurs in the mouths of the flats near the #7 s/s Kahle hooks that I use.

I am finding my blues roaming the 4 to 12 foot deep flats adjacent to drop-offs or holes, at night, they appear to be hunting schools of fish (shad, bluegills, sunfish, etc.) which are feeding on plankton. The blues in these relative shallows are easily spooked by any noise including the 'electronic' noise of depth finders, sonars and trolling motors, so I use oars to quietly paddle and drift accross potential bluecat sites.

The male flatheads are gaurding their nests right now but the females are roaming their usual patterns along routes away and to their daytime resting sites.

Its fantastic to watch large males bite, ram and fight other fish which get too close to flathead nests. The fights are noisy and violent.

The carp bait has worked well for this time of year when other baits may difficult to catch. Try it and you will be pleasantly surprised.

diodeman

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Very good post if I had any rep left I would rep you.

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Wow, Fantastic POST!!! That thing had more information in it than most Mag Articles I've been reading latley....

4. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'll have to try that. If I can get any carp small enough.

5. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Diodeman, I have checked out the archives here on the Missouri thread and have read everything I could find that you posted. I especially liked some of your conversations with MrT. I find your posts very interesting and informative. Keep it coming!

6. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Great information!! thanks for the post.

7. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I agree with every on this one. I really like reading this thread. I can just imagine what it would be like to see male flatties beating up other fish that get too close!

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    One of these days, I'm gonna talk Diodeman into taking me out on one of his nighttime missions... :smile2:

9. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Hey, that's one of the best posts I have seen for awhile!
    Great information! Glad your on the BOC!

10. daniel472001

daniel472001 New Member

State:
    Missouri
  11. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Very informitive post and well presented. Can tell you put some time into what you said. Rep points will be comming your way as soon as I get some more.

12. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    diodeman

That was a real nugget of a post. Great that was just the kind of stuff I'm looking for on the BOC to learn how to catfish without just hanging around fish feeders.

I do have a question as to removing "70% of the back fin" -- I am assuming 70% of the tail fin and not the dorsal fin.

Thanks for the great post.

13. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Great post Diodeman. Unlike the others, I do have a problem with it. Again, you are telling me to forego sleep for successful catting. I'm not quite old enough to retire, and I am too old to work all day and fish between 3am and 6am. :sad2:

14. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I want to ride along too Marty.:big_smile:
    Great post Diodeman!

15. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Wow, now that's a great post. Thanks

SudDawg

16. Catfishhunter2U

Catfishhunter2U New Member

State:
    mo.
  17. live22skate

live22skate New Member

State:
    Arizona
    thanx for the post, it shared alot of info.

18. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Good post. Thanks.

The leader is the way to go, but I really don't think you need steel. Flatheads don't have cutting teeth, more just "fraying" as you say. A mono leader of 50 to 80 pound test would work fine.

Maybe I missed it, but how are you catching the carp? Do you just get them on another rod with corn/worm/ etc?

19. diodeman

diodeman New Member

State:
    Benton Co. Mo.
    Flathead bait of small carp, buffalo, drum...I catch them in a casting net early in the mornings as they are in shallows burrowing in the mud preoccupied with feeding. I place several in my stock tank set up with an aerator and water flow pump, throw in a fresh package of worms and some cracked corn and they stay happy untill I need them. The shad in the tank seem to get along fine with the bigger fish in my 500 gallon stock tank.

Diodeman

20. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Great post diodeman, your detail reflects your heart for catfishing and I might add it’s refreshing to see more flathead info. coming to the table.