Blue Catfish Fishing Question

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by mbill, Aug 17, 2009.

1. mbill

mbill New Member

State:
    Midvale Ohio
    Just wanted to ask whats the farthest north anyone has caught Blue Cats on the Ohio River with any consistency I have never caught one yet and was wondering how far south I need to make it on the River.
    Thanks.

2. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    i have caught a few small ones on the ohio near cinci but thats as far north as i know.....RAT

3. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    ive heard that WV stocks blue in the bellville pool and ive seen on another site that theyve been caught at racine

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  4. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Heard the same thing slimdaddy but I cannot validate this. Maybe someone on here can help enlighten us some what.

5. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    Kieth (slimdaddy) said it right, the wva. dnr have been putting them in, although it will be a few years before you can catch them consistently, our club fishs from belpre to portsmouth and there are some big ones in those pools but not the quanity like down around cinci.. give it a few years and we will be able to catch some gooduns on a consisted basis, but for now I have found the cinci area to be the place to go.

6. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    They are the most common fish I catch around Cincinnati. I'm not sure how plentiful they are after the first dam.

7. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Yes, the WVDNR does have a stocking program. Do a google for Wv catfish stocking and you will get a lot of info on that program. In nearly 40 years I have never caught a Blue on the Gallipolis or Racine Pool, nor have I talked to anyone who has caught one. Not saying they are not there just never caught or heard of one being caught. However there are some in the Greenup Pool.

8. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    Hey john, there are some big blues in the racin pool if seen them at a weigh in, but like i said it will be a few years before we see good numbers of them being caught...i cant wait :cool2:

9. robjmiller

robjmiller New Member

State:
    Irondale ohio
    well dont know how far north your talking but we catch them here about 30 miles south of the mon river

10. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    they catch them up by pittsburgh pa.

11. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    when i used to work on a tug boat on the river i was up in pittsburgh and while we were wating on the other tug boat to come off dry dock we fished and caught blues therei in pittsburgh. never caught a huge one. but they were there

12. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    This thread has kind of got me thinking, so I have made several calls the past 2 days. The guys I talked to have fished the Gallipolis and Racine pools all there lives. Only 1 older guy at Mason Wv said he has caught a large Blue on either pool. It was caught on the Racine Pool he said about 10 years ago. Also none have personally saw any others caught. Really makes me wonder why they are not common on these 2 pools. Again, I AM NOT saying they are not here, only that not many people seem to catch them in the Gallipolis or Racine. I think I will email the ODNR and the WVDNR and see what they tell me.

13. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    john...do what ya gota do...but if you were to go to some of the weigh inns you would see for yourself...(mason w.va. september 19TH) I think thats the date.... you can talk to other (good) cat anglers and they will tell you they are there...and hell see for yourself, like i said in my first post, there in there bro:cool2:

14. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    ive seen a pic of a 17# blue caught at racine dam last year