blue catfish diet

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by koking20, Oct 9, 2008.

1. koking20

koking20 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i was cleaning a couple blues the other day in the 10 to 15# range i cut open there stomachs to see what they were so bloated on turns out they were both packed full of small mussel shells i have'nt ever seen this before can anybody explain i figure there would'nt be much nutrition in these shells and damn seems like they would hurt coming out lol

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    they will eat them

3. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I've seen the same thing. Mussels are a common food source for blues in places where freshwater mussels are common. They aren't eating just the shells, they are eating live mussels, shell and all. They digest the meat inside the shell and then pass the shells (now doesn't that sound fun :crazy::smile2:)

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    The mussels are a favorite of the blue cat!! Often if you are having trouble getting a bite, just move to a mussel field and you can find the fish. Catching the fish at one of these locations is something altogether different.

5. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    yes i heard of fishermen targeting mussell beds for blues,never used them myself

6. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Saw it in the spring this year. First indication was their rearend opened up to about the size of a marker and swelled up all around it. When I checked the stomach I realized why :eek:oooh: Yowch!