Blue Catfish close to home!

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by Katmaster Jr., Mar 26, 2007.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Had a rather exciting trip yesterday, no we didn't catch a lot of fish or anything, but we wanted to see if some rumors we had been hearing are true.

Ok, we have been driving an hour to Lake Gaston for a few years now to catch Blue Cats. While recently we started hearing a few rumors that people were catching Blue Cats in the Chowan River which is only like 10 minutes away from us. Someone even said they got a 35 pounder while fishing for Stripers.

Well around here you can never trust what people are saying, we found that out along time ago. So yesterday we decided to go find out for ourselfs with the fresh shad we had.

To keep it short, basically we made the mistake of going fishing too early in the afternoon, around 1pm. Didn't get any good hits of course for a long time and just got a bad sun burn. But we waited it out, and at the end of the day we fished where the Chowan River splits into the Meherrin and Nottoway river. Started getting hits, then one of my poles got a run and it turned out to be a baby Blue Cat, around 3 pounds maybe. Then we continued to get hits and didn't hook most of them, but my Dad caught a very small Blue. When it got dark we had to leave, but we were still getting bites.

So my Dad went back early this morning, and he said he got a whole lot of runs that he doesn't know if they were Stripers or Blue's, and on a big chunk of Shad he caught one around 15 pounds!

So this is very good news for us, we can't always make it over to the lake, and we like to River fish a lot as well instead of the same old thing over and over.

The only thing about the Chowan River is, there's a TON of commercial fishing, and somebody has also put out a lot of trotlines.

Here is the picture of my Blue, I didn't take one of my dad's small one yesterday because my battery went dead, and my Dad didn't have my camera with him this morning when he caught the 15 pounder, and he let it go....so this is the only picture....notice the commercial nets in the background.....:sad2:

Attached Files:

2. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Thats great ya found a place a little closer to home. Now you can go fishing more often.:smile2:

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I know brother, it's great. Can't wait to give it another try sometime soon, I still love going to the lake too though, I don't think the Blue's are as big here in the River yet, but hopefully they will be one day.

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nice catfish, even thou he is small :cool2:

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks!

My Dad actually went last night and caught 10 Blue Cats! All nice ones around 6-7 pounds, and he caught one around 15lbs! He kept the 15 pounder and I'll get a picture up tommorow!

6. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Go Zakk! I love your reports! I hope someday to be able to spend a day fishing with you and your dad!:big_smile:

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks Scott, it would be fantastic if you could fish with us sometime, ANYTIME you can make it in our area you have a spot on the pontoon!

Ha, you won't believe me probably since I don't have a picture, but my Dad actually caught about a 40 pound Blue today in the Chowan River! I know he would not lie about it, if it's one thing we hate it's people lying about fishing. Anyway, he was by himself, fishing at night this time, and didn't have a camera or anything...not even a scale so he's guessing it was around 40lbs, and he has caught a lot of 40's in Gaston so I think he's right. He also caught a ton of smaller ones he said, and also two, about 15 pounds which he did decide to keep so I did get pictures of them.

He said they were only biting at night, this is great news guys! I hope we can go this weekend some and from now on I'll make sure my Dad takes my camera or something!

Here's the picture of the two around 15 pounds...estimated weight, did not weigh them.

Attached Files:

8. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Way to go Zakk, congrats on putting the rumors to rest. Now ya know for yourself and found a closer place to fish. It wouldnt surprise me if there were good size flatheads there also.

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks Walter! Definitely took care of the rumors, I don't know about Flatheads but will find out in summer. I don't think they are in there though, although it's a perfect habitat for them.